Openoffice install troubles

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheNorthWaves, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Both a friend and I had trouble getting openoffice to either install correctly or to install and run correctly on leopard - anyone else having this problem, or come up with a solution?

Thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You would need X11, but NeoOffice is recommended from me instead...a port for Mac of OpenOffice...

3. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

ah yes - i recall an X11 terminal opening when i tried to use openoffice. I have no idea what that is.

4. MacAodh macrumors regular

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. MacAodh macrumors regular

A great job but not a perfect one. To be honest it's better at the moment but i would like to see some things that oo.org is bringing with there version such as less dependency on java so it'll be faster and quicker updates. Neooffice takes forever to update and then you have to pay if you want it for the first 30 days.

I'm not dishing the Neooffice program nor the early access program (if they need funds they need funds, simple as that) but I would like Openoffice similar to what you get on a pc only aquafied and it's close but just not there.

7. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

i took a look at the blog but I don't really know what they are talking about. Do you know when the next OO revision is coming out?

8. MacAodh macrumors regular

Well according to the website there plan is to bring out a non-beta version of OOOrg Aqua in line with OOOrg 3 which is planed for September next year (I think... not exactly sure but i know it's around Autumn/Winter or there abouts). They plan to do beta at the same time as the beta for OOO3 too.

Saying that from what I've heard don't take it for granted that this will happen. It's not going as well as they hopped and this isn't the first attempt at a native mac version so it might just be better sticking with neooffice.

I use Neooffice for day to day work but saying that I still download the most reacent versions of the aqua alpha since, there method of implementation, seams to be nicer then the NeoOffice one. Just my opinion but i am hoping that they succeed

9. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I use NeoOffice and it does a pretty decent job for me. Give it a try, just make sure to get the most recent release and the latest patch, I believe is Patch 3 at the time. I use it in Leopard and so far so good. :apple: