Openoffice or neooffice?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jiddick ExRex, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

What's the darn difference? Anybody has any experiences before I take the leap?

2. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I believe the only difference is Neooffice is openoffice, just compiled for the Mac.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

NeoOffice is what you want.

OpenOffice is made natively for Linux and Windows, but not yet for Mac. There is a buggy alpha, but its not worth using yet. Some people port OpenOffice to the Mac using Java and call it NeoOffice, so you don't have to use the horrible and clunky X11 interface...

4. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

5. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Just tried it out. It seems speedy and stable enough but the controls lack somewhat. I don't know if it's possible to define your own controls (like using alt + arrows to skip words instead of command + arrows, which should be used to go to endline....)??

6. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

yeah openoffice is cool, stable and cross-platform compatible, has flawless integration of m$ office crap and is fast too.
    I reckon it beats m$ office in terms of usability and all else even if it would cost the same!
    been using openoffice on winblows, linux and osx for years and still wouldn't use anything else :)
    openoffice is currently running only on X11, a unix gui platform that runs smoothly on osx too - but because of this it looks not so nice (no acqua gui integration) - they're working on a osx version now and should release it by end of year I think...
    neooffice is a very nice 2-people-project that ported the gui of openoffice into acqua so that it looks sweet - underneath it is 100% identical - so until sun releases the next openoffice for osx I'd use neooffice, which will probably die as once openoffice is out with acqua integration....

somewhere under option you can define any keyboard shortcuts you want...

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The answer depends on how fast your Mac is. NeoOffice is basically the same thing as OopenOffice, but NeoOffice is designed to have a more Mac-like interface. However, NeoOffice is coded in Java (iirc), so it is somewhat slower than OpenOffice. If you have an old machine like a G4 450 mhz tower, the NeoOffice is too slow to use, but if you have a Mac that came out in the past few recent years then NeoOffice should have acceptable speed.

8. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

They are exactly the same underneath the window. One uses an X11 windows interface and the other aqua, the OS X windows interface.