Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Since I do not have the experience of using either I thought I would ask here and ask those that are using these products which one has the most functionality, compared to MS Office? My main use is Word and Excel

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all :apple:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
they are essentially the same. before openoffice provide a mac-native version, neooffice might be better since it does not require X11.

about excel. if you need some advanced plotting, M$ office might be the only choice. If you only need basic calculation, functions, simply plotting, OO, Neo should be enough for you.

sellitman

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
CT
I've had both

Since I do not have the experience of using either I thought I would ask here and ask those that are using these products which one has the most functionality, compared to MS Office? My main use is Word and Excel

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all :apple:

I downloaded Open Office first and had to add X11 to make it work.

I then found Neo Office and downloaded it.

They are both identical for the most part except neo Office runs on its own. It was made only for Macs. I deleted Open Office and love Neo Office.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
An Alpha test version of OpenOffice with native Aqua support is available. I've not had a chance to try it yet. This is an official port unlike NeoOffice.

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
I like NeoOffice better since you do not require X11 as you would need with OpenOffice.

NeoOffice is based in OpenOffice 2.2.X, so it's a little behind of the latest release of OpenOffice which currently is 2.3.X

Happy holidays :apple:

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
An Alpha test version of OpenOffice with native Aqua support is available. I've not had a chance to try it yet. This is an official port unlike NeoOffice.

This is really in the erliest stages of development, its an Alpha version, which is not recommended for production environments. Nevertheless I really hope this doesn't take long to become a final release

There's another way to test OpenOffice without the X11 enviroment, this has been released recently is a Web based port of the OO suite, you need to create a free account :apple:

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The official Aqua OO port, as others have said, isn't ready for prime time yet. OO in X11 works fine, but really the way to go is NeoOffice - I've been using it as my primary office suite both at home and at work since the very early days and other than slow startup times, there's little to criticise.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I have OpenOffice on my Compaq, OpenOffice with X11 on a Mac, and NeoOffice on a Mac. NeoOffice runs much faster than OpenOffice on the Mac. Since I started using OpenOffice and NeoOffice 1.5 years ago, I have stopped using MSOffice. MSOffice still resides on the hard drives of my computers just in case I need them, but that is rare.

no-direction

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
Stevenage, England
I skipped by OpenOffice for the reason that I didn't want the hassle of installing X11 and went straight for NeoOffice.

I've found NeoOffice to be fine for what I use it for. I use Pages and Keynote from iWork in preference to NeoOffice Writer and Presentation.

I haven't found the included Spreadsheet functionality to be lacking, although compared to Excel certain features that some users require essential (e.g. VisualBasic) aren't included and that can be an issue - having said that I'm fairly sure MS has removed VisualBasic functionality from the up-coming Excel 2008!

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I have been reading reviews about iWork, and they are impressive. If I did not have so many years of using VisiCalc, ClarisWorks, AppleWorks and Excel, I would probably buy iWork.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.