OpenOffice.org

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mpaar, Feb 10, 2008.

1. mpaar macrumors newbie

1. Who here has tried OpenOffice.org and what do you think of it?
    2. How similar is it to MS Office?

Thanks,
    mike

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Use NeoOffice instead, it is the exact same, but runs natively on the Mac.

It's pretty similar to MS Office, but I don't really like either of them. My preference is iWork. OpenOffice/NeoOffice just seems kind of bloated to me. And I don't like all of the toolbars.

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

1. yes, I have tried OO but actually prefer NeoOffice as it does not need X11 to open up in order to start, and seems a bit slicker to me.

2. Both OO and NeoOffice are very similar to MS Office - but better (as they are free)

4. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

While NeoOffice is decent and free it takes way too long to load.

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

NeoOffice is fine. Not as feature rich as MS Office but will meet most users requirements.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

OpenOffice is horrible on OS X as it runs under X11. NeoOffice looks much better but is very slow to load and a bit of a memory hog. I've also found some compatibility issues with Office Documents. If you want something that gives you total Office compatibility then Office is really your only option. If you just need to exchange occasional office docs then I'd recommend iWork

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've been an OpenOffice user on various platforms since the days it was commercial software (StarDivision - StarOffice). It's a perfectly acceptable alternative to MS Office - especially for word processing (it's less buggy than Word) and I exchange file with MS Office users daily without difficulties I find the NeoOffice port to be perfectly useable for daily work purposes (more so than OO/X11), albeit the startup time is rather slow, but there are two other alternatives coming:

Firstly OpenOffice are doing their own port to Aqua. It's still only an alpha, but it shows promise.

Secondly, IBM/Lotus are porting Symphony (an OpenOffice derivitive) to Mac. The Windows version is excellent and it may well wind up being the best of the three options for OS X too. It's due sometime in the first half of this year.

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I've been using openoffice (now neooffice) for over 3 years, so I don't really know how similar it is to Office :confused:

But startup time isn't much of an issue, unless you are in a super quick hurry to write something, which you might as well use textedit anyways. If you're opening up neooffice 20 times a day, might as well leave it open.

9. blumoon macrumors member

I use NeoOffice and it's fine for me. It doesn't take long to open either, 2 bounces and I'm ready to type.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

I use Open Office routinely and it opens MS Office documents just fine. I make edits and others using MS Office can read the files.

Open Office uses X11 window system. These is a port of OO to a native Mac environment but it is always a version or two back from the "real" OO.

The best feature of OO is that it runs on many platforms. It looks and feels identical on all of them. So if you bounce around between (say) Linux, Solaris and Mac OS like I do it is nice to have to same _exact_ office suite on all platforms.

There is a current effort inside the Open Office project to port OO to the native "Aqua" environment making Neo Office moot. They are not there yet.

11. Conrade macrumors newbie

Use of Open Office on Mac BootCamp

Useage and likeability comments, etc., please. Thanks

12. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I use iWork for my stuff, and NeoOffice to open Windows users' stuff, when iWork doesn't like it. Excel databases are a good example. Numbers never seems to like them.

NeoOffice is fine. It's fugly, but it does get the job done on the rare occasion I have to use it. It basically feels like a 1-year old version of MS Office. Does start up a little slow.

13. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Haven't used openoffice on the Mac. But on Windoze it's a little overweight. I have iWork and love it. Pretty yet functional. Who created it you might ask? Our beloved Apple.

Edit: Wow, that sound sappy.

14. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

just installed neooffice on mbp since my girlfriend needed me to print off an excel file for her... loading time was rather quick and the excel file opened and printed perfectly... probably won't be using it too much as i just ordered office 07 for $30 through my university

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I use NeoOffice periodically. Its not that bad, really. Its pretty much a clone of Microsoft Office XP/2003, so its not really all that Mac-like, but its Word and Excel compatibility is very, very good - much better than Pages/Numbers, Nisus Writer, Mellel, etc. Haven't really used NeoOffice's presentation module, so can't speak to its compatibility.

Takes a little bit to launch the first time, but big deal... not like it should be a deal-breaker.

The developers are very good about patching/upgrading the application on a regular basis. About I year ago I donated money to the project to help continue its development.

While its not as "Mac-like" as Office 2008, it may actually have fewer bugs than Office 2008 in its current state. For example, it actually works properly with Exposé and Spaces.

And there are separate optimized builds for PPC Macs and Intel Macs.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't like either. I use iWork exclusively. Best $79 ever.

17. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

OpenOffice port to Mac is coming along quite well. I had downloaded the first alpha a few months ago and dumped it after a few minutes. I used the latest build this week, and it is much better. However, it seems a little slower than NeoOffice presently. I am on Tiger 10.4.11, so don't know how it would be on Intel and Leopard.

18. mpaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Great Info ! ! !

Thanks for all the info. It looks like I will at least download Open Office for those times when I need a MS compatible software.

mike

19. insan56 macrumors member

I find it to be great as just a basic text editor but i seem to have problems as soon as i need to add any pictures into my document. and the default margins in neo office are different than MS word (can easily be fixed though)

20. boast macrumors 65816

boast

MSWord is the one with the different margins!!!

:p