Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
I've always been able to open password protected OpenOffice text files until I installed Snow Leopard. Now, I don't even get a chance to enter my password, I just get the following message:

If OpenOffice.org does not recognize the file type of the document that your want to open, try any of the following:
Select the import filter from the list.
Ensure that the file extension corresponds to the file type of the document. For example, a Microsoft Word document must have a (*.doc) extension for OpenOffice.org to use the appropriate filter.

Not sure what this means. I don't recognize any of the filter choices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I've always been able to open password protected OpenOffice text files until I installed Snow Leopard. Now, I don't even get a chance to enter my password, I just get the following message:

If OpenOffice.org does not recognize the file type of the document that your want to open, try any of the following:
Select the import filter from the list.
Ensure that the file extension corresponds to the file type of the document. For example, a Microsoft Word document must have a (*.doc) extension for OpenOffice.org to use the appropriate filter.

Not sure what this means. I don't recognize any of the filter choices.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think that has to do with OpenOffice going out of development and the fact that it's no longer supported(unless I'm wrong, I don't think they updated it for SL).

However, the people that developed OpenOffice left the project and started a new one called LibreOffice that's also free and works with the most recent versions of OS X. I use it on my 2009 iMac that's running Lion with zero issues.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
I think that has to do with OpenOffice going out of development and the fact that it's no longer supported(unless I'm wrong, I don't think they updated it for SL).

However, the people that developed OpenOffice left the project and started a new one called LibreOffice that's also free and works with the most recent versions of OS X. I use it on my 2009 iMac that's running Lion with zero issues.

Oh no! Well, that's just my luck, but thanks for the info. Can you tell me if there's anyway I can retrieve my password protected file? It's really, really important and I would hate to think I can't open it again.

Thanks for the link for the new software. I have other spreadsheets that I depend on everyday, so I hope there's a way to transfer the data.

Your help is very much appreciated.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Oh no! Well, that's just my luck, but thanks for the info. Can you tell me if there's anyway I can retrieve my password protected file? It's really, really important and I would hate to think I can't open it again.

Thanks for the link for the new software. I have other spreadsheets that I depend on everyday, so I hope there's a way to transfer the data.

Your help is very much appreciated.

I would just say try to open the files with LibreOffice to see if they work the same way. I don't see why the developer's would abandon something that was working really well with the fork to LibreOffice. However, you could always create a virtual machine using VirtualBox, install ubuntu(because LibreOffice and OpenOffice are compatible) and open the files there, then email them to your self to re-encrypt in SL. SOunds like a hassle, but all of that shouldn't take more than 1 hour and that much time to make sure your important information is secure is really not much time at all.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006

See http://www.openoffice.org/ and http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...ontribution-to-apache-nasdaq-orcl-1521400.htm

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

Yes, I am aware of those developments, but the thing is that OpenOffice was forked in 2009(before an updated version for Snow Leopard was developed) and wasn't altered during that time due to Oracle's management of the suite.

It wasn't until 2011 that OpenOffice was donated to Apache. That's two years of absolutely no development and then the waiting period before new development could begin under new management.

So if this OpenOffice is the same, then great. But the length of time between development cycles could account for the problems the OP had in opening encrypted documents. That's why I recommended LibreOffice.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
I did it!!!

I did it!!! I can't believe it was so easy. Just fooling around, I selected my problem file and told my iMac to open it with "Pages". I never use Pages, never liked it. That's why I downloaded and used OpenOffice for years. I don't know what made me think to do this, maybe desperation, but it worked and I have my file back (now unprotected until I figure out what happened).

I'd still like to find out what caused the problem, but I'm just glad I have my file back. My suspicions are leaning towards Mountain Lion. I wished I had never downloaded it. Thanks to everyone for your time.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I did it!!! I can't believe it was so easy. Just fooling around, I selected my problem file and told my iMac to open it with "Pages". I never use Pages, never liked it. That's why I downloaded and used OpenOffice for years. I don't know what made me think to do this, maybe desperation, but it worked and I have my file back (now unprotected until I figure out what happened).

I'd still like to find out what caused the problem, but I'm just glad I have my file back. My suspicions are leaning towards Mountain Lion. I wished I had never downloaded it. Thanks to everyone for your time.

Well that's great that you found it. Pages can also encrypt documents if you want to keep it secure again. In your document, open the inspector and in the first icon look down at the bottom for the checkbox to "Require password to open"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.