OPENOFFICE very slow starting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bedfordsr, Jan 7, 2008.

1. bedfordsr macrumors newbie

Hiya.

My problem is that I have just downloaded OPENOFFICE and installed it, I also installed the X11 thing (dont really understand what it does). Any way when I go to load it, it takes ages to get going. Firstly the linux-looking window opens (with a 'Bash...') and the cursor changes to a circle divided into quarters, eventually (after about a minute) it loads and does seem to work ok.

I reckon it should load a bit quicker ... Any ideas

I am new to the mac world so it could be something really stupid.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Sam

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try NeoOffice, its a faster (not superfast) Java-using port to Aqua of OpenOffice. An official OpenOffice Aqua version is at the alpha stage right now.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

how much memory do you have?

NeoOffice is NOT significantly faster than open office in any sense on my MB.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Uncheck all the languages in NeoOffice and it will load a little faster.

5. bedfordsr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for those replies.

I have only got 1GB of memory, but I had really hoped that would be enough.
    I have noticed that the first time I load it (after the computer has been restarted) and therefore it has to start x11 (still not sure what it does) it is much slower than it is if I close it and then re-load with x11 already running.

Thanks again.

p.s. is there a consensus opinion on which is better; Neo-office and Open office or is it down to personal opinion.

Sam

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I prefer NeoOffice, but they're both slower than cold tar for me.

On the bright side, the Alpha version of the aqua port of Open Office opens very quickly, so I'm really looking forward to that release.

7. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

I think your best bet for speed is going to be MSOffice 2008. I can't wait for it to come out; it will replace my laggy 2004 and NeoOffice.

OpenOffice has to load X11 before starting on Mac OS X, which is why it's so much slower than on, say, Windows or Linux.

8. oizysls macrumors newbie

oizysls

NeoOffice vs AbiWord

What do you think about AbiWord compare to MSOffice 2008 ?
    I download AbiWord a few days ago, did not use it long enough, but like it better than OpenOffice so far. Compare to NeoOffice - I think it is faster to open.