OpenSource anti virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by generationxwing, May 4, 2007.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Can anyone suggest a good OpenSource anti virus program? I remember seeing one a few weeks ago, but for the life of me can't remember the name of it.

I know the risk of a virus on my sexy new iMac is slim to none, I'd just like to be protected regardless. Any advice would be great. Cheers!

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

That program will offer you no protection whatsoever. The chances for you to catch an virus that affects OSX are equal to zero, which is coincidentally the number of viruses for OSX that are present in the wild. Because there are no viruses for OSX, the clamXav program will be of no use to you, because the definitions for detecting a virus affecting OSX dont exist. The only thing that program will give you is the piece of mind that you arent giving poor windows users a virus you might have recieved trough some spam email.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with ya. But do consider that, if you use parallels or bootcamp, and transfer files back and forth between the OS X and Windows segments, that poor Windows user could be you! ;)