Openssh HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Namikaze, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Namikaze macrumors member

i cant connect to my iphone with winscp, everytime i try it keeps saying it timed out.
    i do have openssh installed
    running a jailbroken unlocked 2.0 1st gen iPhone

2. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member

3. summiter macrumors newbie

Can you ping the IP of the phone? If no, sort out the network then try again.
    Note that unless you have the Insomnia app installed, the phone will tear down the wifi connection within 10 seconds of the device sleeping.

If you can ping the phone, have you tried to ssh into it? Are you ever prompted to accept its encryption key?

For reference, when asking for assistance, it's helpful to indicate what steps you've already taken to troubleshoot and whatnot.

4. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member

well i have installed openssh. downloaded winscp. then in winscp. entered the ip adress of the iphone with username root and password alpine, tried to login and it keeps saying connection timed out. i've never gone farther than that
    how do i ping the iphone?

5. summiter macrumors newbie

Oh boy.

OK, when your phone is on your wireless network and you've confirmed it has connectivity, go to your computer and ping the IP address that is assigned to your phone's wifi interface.

You can find the IP by going to settings-->wi-fi--><blue arrow next to name of your wifi network>

Your phone's IP address is problably something like 192.168.1.xxx

On your computer, open a command prompt (I'll assume you're on windows) and type "ping <IP address of phone>" without the quotes or brackets. You should see that it is replying.

6. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member

ok, just tried to ping the iPhone and It says request times out
    But I do have connection to the Internet when either using safari or YouTube

7. macjakob macrumors newbie

EXACT same problem here! :(

Safari, Mail, etc, etc works fine on the iPhone itself, but I can't SSH into it, nor ping it.

wtf is wrong? :confused:

Please help

Problem solved!
    My Airport Express basestation just needed to be restarted!

8. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member