OpenSSH icon wont show!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by delude, Jan 28, 2008.

1. delude macrumors 6502

I have jailbroken 1.1.3 using the Dev method posted on iPodTouchFans, have installed SSH but it wont show on the springboard!
    However, it does seem to work by connecting with winscp. Does this mean SSH is always on? Would this not drain the battery?

2. hecks macrumors regular

There is no SSH icon, since it runs as a serviice that is handled automatically. And no, it won't drain your battery, despite what you might have heard. Here's the explanation from the dev:

http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-info/openssh/

You can however install a switch app that will toggle the SSH service for security reasons. On 1.1.3, the only one I've found that works reliably is BigBoss's BossPrefs from this repo: sleepers.net/iphonerepo

Read about it here:
    http://code.google.com/p/bossprefs/

3. Anderzander macrumors member

I wondered about this too - I rather liked the little switch from 1.1.2 I'd hoped it might turn up on installer.

4. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

5. illweather macrumors regular

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I was worried I couldn't get SSH on 1.1.3 when I never saw it on my springboard.

6. sorrycharlie macrumors member

I was thinking the same thing. Does anyone know of a way to uninstall and then re-install OpenSSH as an application on the SpringBoard again without having to re-jailbreak the phone? For example, can I use the windows.bat/jailbreak.jar file and click Install SSH then boot from recovery, or something like that, without it messing up my phone? I just got it jailbroken and unlocked in 1.1.3 after hours of trying and I don't want to go through all that trouble again.