OpenSSH Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tracid, Dec 8, 2008.

1. tracid macrumors member

Hellow, I just jailbroke my iPhone, and I have a very stupid question about OpenSSH.

Can it be used as a hard drive to store data?

Thanks

2. mohicanspap macrumors regular

Yes it can but im not sure if it matters where you store. Im not sure never messed with storage using ssh

3. tracid thread starter macrumors member

I read using Winscp and OpenSSH will take you to the root directory of my iPhone. Mabye I can create a folder?

Also, how fast is the transfer rate for very large files (1gb+)?

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Since the iPhone is connected via a USB cable, wouldn't the max rate = max USB speed?

5. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Less as SSH is encrypted... WiFi is also possible but it's quite slow. You can also install an app from the appstore (forgot it's name) that starts a WebDav daemon so you can just connect to it over WiFi and store files on it. Without hacking it....

When I hacked my iPod Touch I put a couple of LucasArts adventures on there to work with the SCUMM engine for iPhone/iPod touch. It took quite a while to copy (scp) them over (about 1 GB in total I think). So don't expect a lot from it :)

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

That's why I said the max rate is the rate of the USB connection.

7. tracid thread starter macrumors member

8. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

Yes, you do not need to be connected via USB to SSH.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Why not just use Files/Files Lite from the App store? I've got Files Lite and it works pretty well.

10. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Or try Air Sharing. I think it costs like $7.99 now but I got it when it was free. :D Even though it's not free, it is definitely the best of its type. If you will use it a lot, go for it.

11. tracid thread starter macrumors member

Well, heres the thing, I want to use my iPhone as a wireless hard drive, to transfer files to and from my computer.

I bought Air Sharing which I thought would make things a whole lot simpler, but when I try to use it at my college, the damn network blocks the port :mad:

So I need an app that provides transferring of data from the computer to iPhone without having to use webfolders (college blocks that).

12. The General macrumors 601

Hmm... If you had a Mac you could just install Netatalk and your iPhone will show up in the Finder like a network drive.

13. tracid thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, all the computers are PC and any installed program that require a restart will automatically be deleted

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

1) Install OpenSSH.

2) Learn how to use SCP.

Max transfer speed is limited to the max. speed of 802.11b/g on the iPhone, which is approx 4-5 mbit/s.

15. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

The iPhone disk is separated into 2 volumes. User Data (/private/var) and Root (/). The root volume is read-only so I wouldn't try to put files there. It also has a limited size by default of 300MB, unless you increased in your jailbreaking process. "Best" place if you just wanted to SSH into the phone and use SCP to put files, would be creating a folder at the top level on the user partition. :)

16. brando88 macrumors 6502

^ Good Info.

Although, there is a free USB alternative for using your phone for file storage.

http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/

ps - no jailbreak needed.

17. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Not too shabby. :)

Does DiskAid give you access to the complete file system? Root partition and all? I'm doing research on the forensic analysis of the iPhone for grad work. In my readings, it was recommended that AFC (protocol used to communicate via USB through iTunes) not be used since it's proprietary and juries may not understand the process as much as standard protocols such as SSH and WiFi. I wonder if utility could be morphed to capture a complete disk image. :)

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

There are only two ways that I can think of to get a bit-for-bit copy of the full FS (which is what you'd need for forensic work):

1) If the phone is jailbroken, using something like 'dd' on the root partition block device.

2) If the phone isn't jailbroken, take out the flash and dump it manually.

2.5) Use JTAG to dump the flash.

Other than that, you're SOL unless MobileDevice has a way to dump the full FS (which, last I checked, it didn't.)

19. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yeah, there's a recommended process for forensic capturing involving dd on the user data partition (/private/var). What's a pain is presenting your findings to a jury. :)