OpenSSH won't work 99% of the time!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kanshira, Dec 4, 2009.

1. kanshira macrumors member

hi all, i've been browsing around the internet for a solution for a while but couldn't find a updated solution, so i'm finally starting up a thread for a solution.

I've been trying to OpenSSH to connect to my iphone folders for a while now but it won't work most of the time - I have gotten in a few times but after I logout and try again.. it won't go back in! ... so i know i've been doing something right. - i've tried both transmit and cyberduck(mac user) and they both fail to connect - i prefer using cyberduck.

i've tried doing ssh root@192.168.1.4 in terminal but end up with this msg:
    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

also, I have deleted known_hosts in the folder and that still didn't work

i'm using iphone 3gs 3.1.2 and presumably with the latest version of openssh.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You should probably remove and then reinstall openssh just to be sure.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Also, your IP address can change from day to day. Make sure the one you are using is still correct.

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

That error message could be referring to a large number of things. Try using the verbose x3 mode to see if any errors come up or if more info can be gathered about why the connection is getting closed when you connect.

Code:
    ssh -vvv root@ipaddress
    If that doesn't show the problem, I suppose you could always turn on system logging (via cydia app or manually) and then restart the ssh daemon or reboot the phone to see if any error messages come up in the syslog.

5. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

You're not letting your phone goto sleep are you?

6. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

Same Problem here

Hi,
    I'm facing the same problem here.

I did the verbose ssh thingy and got the following:

Code:
    ssh -vvv root@192.168.1.8
    OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5ubuntu1, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.8 [192.168.1.8] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: identity file /home/ali/.ssh/identity type -1
    debug1: identity file /home/ali/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
    debug1: identity file /home/ali/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
    my iPhone 3G (3.0 firmware) was not locked at all. I'm using openssh latest version.

I've searched all around the net but couldn't find any solution.

Any ideas?

Thank you

7. yezza macrumors regular

Exactly the same thing here too :confused:

8. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

That's weird

It's so weird that so many people have this problem but no solution for it yet. :(

9. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

tried switching on "SSH" via sbssettings?? also check that the autolock is set to "Never" to prevent the iphone from going into "sleep" mode!

10. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

Done

Hi,

Thank you Bl0ckHe1d for your reply.

I tried all these but no go

11. KidPub macrumors member

localhost?

Are you able to ssh into localhost from the iPhone terminal app? If you can, it would point to something outside the phone as the issue (firewall etc).

Code:
     ssh localhost [\code]

12. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

It's in the phone

Hi,

Thank you KidPub for your reply.

I just tried (ssh localhost) on the terminal in the phone itself and I got the same error message:

I already tried removing openssh and installing it again from cydia but that didn't fix it.

I guess this indicates there is something wrong with the default configuration of openssh on the iphone?

13. yezza macrumors regular

coolthing76, I can confirm the exact same outcome as you on "ssh localhost" within the phones terminal - ie:

14. KidPub macrumors member

Another angle

How many sshd processes are running?

ps -eal | grep ssh

Perry

15. foob macrumors 6502

foob

And what does your /etc/hosts file look like?

16. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I would try uninstalling OpenSSH one more time (and then reboot, NOT respring, afterward), but after it is removed, use something like iPhoneBrowser to see if there is an /private/etc/ssh directory. If there is, delete EVERYTHING in it as well as the directory itself. After that, reinstall OpenSSH and try one more time to make a connection.

The first time you attempt to make a connection after doing this, it may take longer than normal as it will need to generate a new set of RSA keys from scratch for itself again. Subsequent connections should be fast.

Also, I have noticed something on my 3GS (which I'm pretty sure was not the case on my 3G, but I'll have to double-check): if I connect the phone up to the network via WiFi, even after it gets an IP address, the phone is not immediately accessible after that. I will not be able to ping the IP address of the phone or make any sort of connection to the phone from outside UNTIL I have asked the phone to make an outbound connection (for example, open up Safari and go to a website). Not sure why this is. But it's possible that you are running into the same issue, which would explain your "99%" comment: it works occasionally because you tried to do it immediately after you were using the iPhone to access some other network resource.

-- Nathan

17. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

Answers

yezza

I think we both have exactly the same problem. Let's follow up on this thread until we find a solution with eh help of our great fiends here.
    ===========================

KidPub

Code:
    ps -eal | grep ssh
    gives:
    Code:
    -sh: ps: command not found
    ========================
    foob

Here is my /etc/hosts file:

Code:
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1             localhost 
    fe80::1%lo0     localhost
    =========================
    NathanA

I will try your method when I go back home.

Thank you all for your help

18. meagain macrumors 68030

I can't ssh into the phone for anything (via Cyberduck).
    Some sort of peer disconnect.

I really need to save my cydia stuff before upgrading/jailbreaking.

19. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

Didn't work

NathanA

I tried what u said exactly. After I uninstalled Openssh I found the /private/etc/ssh directory full of files so I deleted it and its files, rebooted then reinstalled Openssh again.

I tried to ssh once more and it took some time before giving me the same error message.

I tried to use Safari a little and then download something form AppStore, then tried to reconnect again with ssh but still got the same ugly message:

Code:

Note: I can ping my phone all the time, and I already disabled the auto-lock not to interfere with my ssh connections.

I know it seems really mysterious but I think there are many ppl with the same problem.

Thank you so much

20. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Fascinating. By your description (took a long time the first time to give you the error), it does sound like sshd is probably running...it took longer the first time because it was regenerating your keys.

To get the 'ps' command on your phone that you tried to run earlier (as suggested by KidPub), you need to install "adv-cmds" package from Cydia. Then the command will work.

-- Nathan

21. yezza macrumors regular

NathanA - I did as you suggested and have successfully connected via ssh :D

coolthing - it's unfortunate that this has not worked for you. Are you positive that the etc/ssh folder was deleted? FYI I used iPhone Explorer on my Mac to browse to the ssh folder to delete (after I had uninstalled openssh then rebooted).

I'm hoping that this fixes it permanently. I had re-installed openssh some time ago, and I was able to connect for a very short while, but then this ability mysteriously disappeared.

22. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

Output of ps

Hi NathanA,

I installed adv-cmds then did the (ps -eal | grep ssh) and got the following:

Code:
    501  571  557  4002  0  31  0264728  180 -  R+  e03e3000 ttys000 0:00.01 grep ssh
    =========================
    yezza

Thanx for your concern. I'm glad ur problem is solved. Yes I'm sure I deleted the /etc/ssh folder and its contents but it didn't solve it for me. I used iFile on iPhone.

23. foob macrumors 6502

foob

sshd doesnt run in the background like it does on normal computers. It only launches when there is an incoming connection attempt. ps wont show anything until then.

24. coolthing76 macrumors newbie

Thank you

foob

Thank you for this depressing info lol

So is there another way to troubleshoot this problem?

25. yezza macrumors regular

Hey coolthing,

Unfortunately I'm back where I started. OpenSSH works when I re-installed it, but shortly afterwards it is again dysfunctional!

I just ran a short test:

1. Tried connecting via SSH - no go (connection closed by remote host).

2. Re-installed openSSH. Did not reboot.

3. Successfully connected via SSH.

4. Did an iTunes sync.

5. Successfully reconnected via SSH.

6. Rebooted phone.

7. Unsuccessful attempt to connect via SSH (connection closed by remote host).

Coolthing, can you reproduce the results of my test above?

Any ideas anyone? I have no idea what could happen over the course of a reboot. Perhaps something is over-writing part of the openSSH install/configuration?:confused: