openVPN connected, but not being used?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garyleecn, Feb 8, 2017.

1. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I've connected to openVPN, and the VPN icon shows up on my iPhone, however, I notice there's no traffic going through VPN. I checked my IP, it's not the VPN ip, and after playing back a ~10minutes HD video, in the openVPN app it still shows the usage is ~10kb...

anyone know how to force all traffic to go through VPN? thanks

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Have you installed a profile from your VPN provider?

3. lebronhuo macrumors newbie

lebronhuo

Since you can play a video with vpn connecting, you do not need to care about forcing all traffic to go through vpn.

4. garyleecn thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a VPN server on a synology box, so I guess it's a yes? Maybe there's a setting in the config file to force everything go thorough VPN?

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

The openvpn ios app should show you the status and traffic details.

6. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

So you're outside home or work (wherever the Synology Diskstation is located) and are trying to access the resources on that home or work network remotely?

7. garyleecn thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes. I have pretty good gigabit ethernet, so it's pretty much the same as those commercial providers.

8. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

9. garyleecn thread starter macrumors 6502a

that was what I did. however after some research, the default configuration file exported by Synology does not direct all traffic through VPN.
    that's like when you are outside, using LTE connection, all your google/facebook etc, etc will still go directly through your carrier, only LAN address, like 192.168.1.* will go through. I can imagine it working for some people. however not for me.

so there is some modification in the config file you can make to direct everything through VPN connection.

10. smcgrath12 macrumors newbie

You can either push the default route directive from your server or you can include that in your client config file for each client.

I use it per client (or more accurately, per client config file) to control my routing depending on my needs. If you need to route all traffic via your OpenVPN tunnel, include "redirect-gateway def1" in your client ovpn file. Assuming that you want ALL traffic to be routed via your VPN, make sure that you are pushing proper internal DNS to your clients, else you might face name resolution failures or DNS leaks. To be on the safe side, you should also go to OpenVPN settings on your phone (by going to "Settings/OpenVPN") and disable the fallback Google DNS option to prevent DNS leaks.