Opera 10 Alpha is now available

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xUKHCx, Dec 4, 2008.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

After a teasing post on the blog last week, Opera 10 Alpha is now available for download.

Obviously this is a little too soon to expect the new UI so it still runs with the old one from opera 9.6

Attached Files:

2. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have been using this now since my post yesterday and despite being an alpha I have only had one crash.

I haven't come across and issues yet, yes there are issues but I am very impressed so far.

The default skin is still the ugly Macintosh Standard so I had to switch back to the Opera Standard. In terms of UI it feels exactly like Opera 9.6 which it essentially is but with a new backend.

Speed is turned up to 11 with this one. Opera 9.6 felt a little stilted at times but on par with other browsers. With 10.0a it feels much faster.

In terms of javascript benchmarks, it seems to be pretty much on par with the beta/nightly variants of the other major browsers.

(y axis milliseconds taken to complete the benchmark suite).

Picture 2.png

It does feel a little out of place on OS X but that is the same with previous 9.6 releases, just the way that the menus are placed.

It feels so good to have inline spellcheck now supported. I tried adding another dictionary but it doesn't seem to have taken, guess I will try again.

I wonder what the new UI will bring. The designer in charge of this task is for those who are interested (judging by the number of replies, not that many :p) is predominately a mac user which hopefully means good news for us. Here is his own website in case you are interested.

With the stability I have had I think I might keep on using this alpha, and with autoupdate now supported I will be abreast of the latest updates.

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Yay!

(And by "yay!" I mean another browser to ignore if someone says a web page does not look good in it.)

4. lamadude macrumors 6502

Sounds interesting, will definitely download it once it reaches beta.
    Does the spell checking allow you to easily change the language? This is really something I need and so far I can only do this in FF.

5. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

great news, the opera people are so nice and ever so polite (unlike the rude ie twunts) and have for so long been putting out a superior product, all the best to them.

btw in the posted graph, is a lower bar better?

6. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thanks for that :rolleyes: Opera is one of the most standard conforming / orientated browsers out there. Just out of interest what browser(s) do you support/use.

It does

Picture 7.png

I've only loaded English GB to the dictionary. The process of adding a new dictionary at this stage, while easy, is not that user friendly for non computer people.

It uses the dictionaries from this page http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

Yes lower better, I forgot to put a label on the axis. The axis label should be ms.

7. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Been an Opera user for years now- always good to see them working on the browser. Look forward to the Beta :)

8. latempete macrumors member

Synchronize Opera

Has anyone tried the synchronization feature? It's seamless and keeps all of my computers browsers updated with bookmarks, speed dial, personal bar, history, websites I typed into the title bar, etc. It's actually a 9.6 (or 9.5) feature but I just found out about it. It works in 10 Alpha also.

Just go to file and synchronize Opera and follow the instructions. All you need is a free Opera community account.

9. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is one of the reasons why I really want Opera on my iPhone. Speed dial and opera syncing on the iPhone would be the business.

Then when you add in Notes in the background it really would be killer on the iPhone.