Opera 11.10

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Has anyone tried the new Opera 11.10? I've been using it all day and although it is just a minor update it has significantly improved the Opera experience.

The SpeedDial page for Opera has seen some minor improvements. The fluidity of the animations and the rendering of page previews makes for a superior experience.

Opera now supports Google's WebM standard. I still have yet to find a single instance of this image type on the web and I'm not sure how I feel about another Google controlled (even if it's open) standard on the web, nor do I know much about how WebM is superior to other formats.

I haven't been able to test out the improvements to Opera Turbo, but in the past I have extensively used this feature. Any improvement to an already amazing feature are welcome by me. Hopefully other browsers catch on to such an amazing feature, although I think with the number of users on other browsers it may be too expensive to implement for IE, Chrome, Safari, and of course Firefox.

CSS gradients are another welcome addition. Opera is always at the forefront of browser improvements and it's great to see them bring us closer and closer to HTML5 compliance. I'm glad they focus on the important reasons for HTML5 compliance instead of the silly show off improvements like passing the Acid3 test.

After updating I decided to take a look at the extensions for Opera. Last time I checked them out I was very disappointed by the selection, especially compared to Firefox. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection this time. It's nothing compared to FF, but it is a step in the right direction.

This update has got me to move back to Opera as my main browser (especially since I discovered I could move the tab bar to the bottom of the browser!). The tab grouping in Opera is superior to Firefox's tab candy, in my opinion. While some aspects of Firefox's tab candy are pretty useful, especially being able to name a tab group, I find it a little kludgey. Opera's is easy to use, fluid, and doesn't require me to go to a tab management page to make any use of it.

Of course Opera isn't for everyone. It look me quite a while and a fair bit of Google searching to learn how to use some features, such as customizing search, how to spoof the user agent, and how to set up email in it. There are a lot of ways Opera could be improved, particularly in menu and preference management (There are a ridiculous amount of preferences that aren't in the preferences and are littered throughout seemingly random and ambiguously named menu items).

Let me know what you guys think about the Opera improvements!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The biggest reason I have NOT to use Opera is that it does not play nice with The Kingdom of Loathing, a web-based RPG that I play.

That said, the improvements you mentioned do seem worthwhile - I will have to give the new Opera version a try. I haven't used Opera in a while, mostly because it is less popular, and therefore forgotten about.