Opera installed itself on my mac how?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XxpikachuxX, Jul 27, 2009.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

i downloaded mercury Im andd received a wink and i clicked on play wink then opera open!!! and played the wink on the page but how is opera in my macbook when i got to spotlight and type opera it can't find anything but i clicked on opera show in finder and suposely is on a folder called MacOS

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have any Adobe apps installed?

IIRC, CS3 installed Opera on mine a while ago ...

3. XxpikachuxX thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I removed BOTH versions of Opera that were contained inside my Photoshop CS3 app. (Two different version numbers!) I also deleted the Bridge and Device Central apps and other stuff, including cutting out the PPC binary with Monolingual and pretty much getting Photoshop down to a total of 222MB (The Intel-only Photoshop itself is 118MB, the app was twice that size before losing its PPC binary.) in one folder. And it still works.

Adobe pulls some pretty stupid stuff. I had to go to a lot of trouble to trim down the bloat.

Opera is there for Photoshop's web stuff. Though why? Don't they think the user will already have a browser installed? Screw you, Adobe.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, Bridge requires Opera's render engine in order to browse your photos. Have you tried to use Bridge since deleting Opera?

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

Installing stuff the user didn't ask for seems to be a common practice.

7. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    That's complete BS, Safari is offered but it isn't automatically checked for installation. You have to tell the updater to download it.

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

The news is old, they turned it off a couple of months after because of harsh criticism. The move was still rotten and I'm sure it brought in a bunch of users at an important time (it was on by default right after the release of Safari for Windows).

9. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Did you read my entire post which says that I deleted Bridge? And Device Central? Two applications that I will never use. Ever. In a million years.

If I want to browse photos, I will use the Finder and Spotlight or the Open dialog with Icons turned on an big. Bridge is a glorified gallery. OS X gives me a better gallery. So in the trash that bloated piece of junk Bridge goes.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Oddly, I missed the word deleted.

The advice stands for anyone else, it is there for a reason, don't just go deleting it.