Opera loads up with torrent file?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pjuk, Oct 30, 2007.

1. pjuk macrumors newbie

I've just installed a fresh copy of Leopard along with a few other applications (Transmit, Transmission, Parallels (with Bootcamp partition for XP), Photoshop CS3, Textmate, MS Office 2004)

The problem I'm having is whenever a .torrent file is loaded up Opera loads up :confused: even though I have never installed Opera (it doesn't even exist in my Applications folder)

I would have thought Transmission would have associated itself with the .torrent file.

Thanks for any help, Pj

2. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

why don't you make Transmission the default app for .torrent files and use Spotlight to find opera and delete it

EDIT: Get Info on a torrent file and change app to Transmission and then click the apply to all button

3. pjuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I have searched for Opera in spotlight and nothing comes up. Does anyone have any idea where this came from and how I can get rid of it?

Thanks for the file association tip...it works great :)

4. jesstech macrumors member

This is a known issue. A standalone version of Opera is installed with CS3 inside the Bridge application package (look in the MacOS folder). It cannot be deleted; it is necessary for some preview and browsing functionality inside of Bridge. It associates itself with torrent files because Opera now includes a torrent client and, like always, thinks it is better than everything else.

5. pjuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know where it came from...coming from a PC background I thought it might have been spyware :p

6. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Also check any external hard drives to see if they have opera on them, I had leopard running microsoft word from my external hard drive even after installing it on my laptop hard drive.

7. torndownunit macrumors regular

Thanks for this info. I thought I was going crazy. I have never used Opera, and never knowingly installed it on any of my machines. I had the same problem with Torrent files after the Snow Leopard update though.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Consider any Adobe product to fall into this category.

9. kasakka macrumors 65816

This is purely Adobe's fault for taking shortcuts, in other words using Opera to show mobile version previews of web sites etc. and including the full Opera instead of working with Opera Software to get a stripped down version that only does what Adobe needs.

It's a shame Adobe really doesn't give a damn about doing things right on the OSX platform. They just love to break pretty much all Apple UI design guidelines all the time.

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Youll find that Opera takes over a lot of different files

11. torndownunit macrumors regular

It seems like this problem has existed for awhile. Any idea why I have never had issues until the Snow Leopard upgrade? I have used Transmission and had CS3 installed for quite some time and never had problems.