opera making me tear my hair out!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sic, May 28, 2007.

1. Sic macrumors 6502

why won't it let me use an external rss reader? I click the thingy in the address bar and it wants me to use the opera default without even offering the option to use an external reader. I can't find this option anywhere and it's driving me insane. please don't make me switch back to firefox over this!!

thanks in advance

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I believe you set your default RSS reader in Safari's preferences.

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

it's opera that sic is talking about, not safari. BTW: sorry, but i can't help. I only have opera for browser testing websites

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The RSS reader should also have a preference for the default reader, change it there.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Sorry to go off-topic, but what advantages does Opera have? (I am asking as someone who was too lazy to really try it out - I deleted it after about 2 minutes use, because I hated the UI, I am a Safari user who used to use FireFox)

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Small, light and more features than you can shake a stick at, it's especially good for dial-up connections.

7. Sic thread starter macrumors 6502

none of that stuff worked - it seems that opera uses its default reader above all else and I can't find a way to disable it, which means I have to view source and C/P the link to NNW - mildly annoying.

I use opera because I browse with a lot of tabs open (had 30 earlier, which would have crushed firefox on my current setup). It's more stable, quicker and fuller-featured than Safari (in my experience) and it's far more stable than Firefox (although the loss of my web developer toolbar sucks, I prefer actually being able to view websites) I'm currently trying to find my 'best' OSX web browser - Firefox leaks memory and is has been known to eat 500MB of my RAM. Safari is a barebones browser that lacks basic features without extensions that are either resource hogs, or wallet hogs. Shiira is just a joke that could've been a very good browser if they'd actually tested it and released stable versions of it.

I haven't tried Camino yet, but it looks pretty good.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=190589

9. Sic thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, but all that does is hide the RSS button in the address bar - i still have to view source to find the rss link :/

I guess this is just one of those things. I'm not ready to believe that this is impossible to achieve! :(

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

Um, however that does solve your issue of disabling the RSS aggregator and gives you a way to export your current feeds.

What's bad about right-clicking a link to copy the url?

11. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Opera has its own free news feed: news.opera.no, with several newsgroups in it. Checking one of its newsgroups would probably be productive.

12. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

For me, it generally renders faster than Safari (though the latter has gained ground over the years). The built-in mouse gestures are useful. Also, I really like the way tabs are implemented (the ability to have 50 or so tabs on one screen + the ability to move them around + navigate between them). Though Opera isn't my default browser, I use it for research due to its navigation/tab/stability advantages.

13. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I like multiple browsers, and bought Opera way back before it was free. On Windows machines, there is a free utility called "Optool" which is handy for switching from browser to browser. Each browser has some advantages and disadvantages - with some pages working, not working, or being dangerous.

Of course, anybody who writes web pages should test them with a variety of browsers - but most web designers are not that professional.