Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ODog4523

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
What are everyones thoughts on this browser right off the bat?

Personally, it does seem to load many pages faster than safari, but most of them aren't quite rendered as accurately. Zooming in and out seems a bit quirky so far, and there's no pinch-to-zoom...bummer. Scrolling is really nice and smooth on the plus side, and rotating the browser view is smoother than safari. Wish there was a way to import bookmarks from safari...

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
Was not impressed at all. It remains on my iPhone for now but I doubt I will use it. In fact I will be surprised if I don't delete it over the weekend. Not sure why so many people were hyping this up so much.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Agree, going back and forward instantly is very nice but the rest of the experience of zooming and scrolling is terrible - no idea what all the fanboys are going on about.

I'm more than willing to try Opera again once they sort out the rendering and the other BETA quality issues of this release.

ODog4523

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Agreed. I'll keep it around on my phone for now, but I don't see ut lasting. We'll see if it gets cleaned up with some updates soon.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
It's pretty much like Opera Mini on everything other platform...overall useless except for a handful of sites. The best thing about it is that it was approved by Apple and maybe a door has opened. Maybe.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
It's pretty much like Opera Mini on everything other platform...overall useless except for a handful of sites. The best thing about it is that it was approved by Apple and maybe a door has opened. Maybe.

It was likely approved because apple knew it was not as good as safari :p

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
I did not like it and was going to delete it, untill I found the full screen mode! I love thos browser now. Its so much faster than safari. Sure at fullsize its not rendered as nice but I never read sites fullsize, when you zoom in it is perfect. The single tap zooming system works great no need to pinch to zoom. I love how fast it is even on my 3g that seems to get slower and slower. Try the full screen mode before you delete it.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
it will be nice I'm gonna use my dads first gen iPhone to go onto att when i ditch verizon and thus it will be edge only it will help if i wanna do some web browsing it definitely is the best alternative i have tried

zaaria

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
I have deleted the app: safari is faster than opera, loading my usual webs. Poor zoom, can´t read the web without zooming.

Nopstnz8

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Guys remember, this is the first release, and it's bound to get better. I'm really happy this was approved because it was, at the time, one of the key reasons I waited to get an iPhone until the 3GS came out. I loved the browser on WM, so it was a big adjustment for me in terms of page rendering. Safari was still a big upgrade, just not the ideal upgrade I wanted at the time. What the next release needs to include is multitouch support and smooth scrolling like Safari, assuming Apple hasn't locked down some sort of patent for these features. Once this happens, Opera will be on a whole different level. That as well as the video support it's lacking. I don't mind the wait. I mean we waited long enough for the day of this finally being released, so the wait for improvements won't be too bad.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
3gs no,2g yes

I'll say, on my 3gs, I prefer to use safari, lots of reasons.

on the 2g iphone (yes, we still have one) opera is much faster, no question

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
installed it, played around with it for a while, uninstalled it. Not impressed, and frankly, don't really see the point. Safari does all I need, works well etc.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I don't like the Web interface on it, and the controls are complete rubbish. However, there is a lot of things in here that I think Safari should learn from. Pages load so much more quickly in Opera than in Safari. Also, the speed dial thing is very convenient and looks cool. Find is a very useful feature that was implemented well.

All Opera needs is to fix the interface and controls and I would honestly use it over Safari. One of the two needs to combine the address bar and the search bar, though. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and I really like how it automatically creates line-breaks in paragraphs of text so it makes it easier to read big chunks of text. It looks really stupid and I thought it was some kind of weird glitch at first, but after using the browser for a while I realized how useful it was.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
it's definitely a 1.0 release, it's not as smooth as it could be. Also it's not 5 times faster, it's comparable to safari in speed, but Opera seems better at not showing checkers, no matter how fast I scroll.

Things I love:
Find
Opera's implementation of tabbed browsing on the iPhone. Safari should pick this up and OS 4 should use this method for multi tasking.

Dislikes:
Missing spell check is a big deal
Book mark importing missing
the buttons and some link clicking seems a little glitchy

I can only imagine it will improve over time

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Its much faster than safari. Im on an ipod touch 2G on wifi and the difference is very noticeable.

I think a higher pixel density screen would greatly improve the full page view experience.

Going to try it on a frieds DROID tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.