Opera on Mac Needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oRADoTrev, Jun 11, 2009.

1. oRADoTrev macrumors newbie

Not to long ago I made the switch from microsuck to Mac ... I have noticed that opera is on my Mac.
    Is opera on all macs?
    Is it needed?, If not can I unistall it and how?

Thank you,
    T-Rev

2. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

No, and you can uninstall it by dragging it from the Applications folder to the Trash (in the Dock).

3. oRADoTrev thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what i thought... But its not there, the only way you can see it is if you go to library/Preferences/Opera Preferences

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Feel free to delete it. :) Opera is bundled with CS3 or some Adobe thing if I remember correctly.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Jing project seems to have a relationship with it also.

6. oRADoTrev thread starter macrumors newbie

that makes since.... it may of be bundled in there when I installed Cs4... Thanks for the help.

7. Jota macrumors newbie

IMO Opera is the best web browser, try it before sending it to the trash, you may like it ;)

8. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I like Opera, when Safari doesn't work that's the first one I head to. I used to use it exclusively until the Safari 4 Beta came out. Plus I like using the three finger gesture back and forward.

9. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If Opera were installed with some other software package, then don't you think that it is a good idea to keep it if you want to use that software package?

11. osin macrumors 6502

I keep 4 different web browser installed on my Mac. Only because not every website I visit supports Safari...
    So I would say keep the Opera installed. It is not like it takes up that much space ;)

12. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Opera as default...

I've been searching the archives and this seems the right place to ask the following, since we are all talking about Opera web browser;
    I downloaded Opera a few days back but as I opened it and started to use it, I was not given a "default" message. I don't want Opera to be my default web browser, I rather like Safari for that job, but I can not find the default setting. Does Opera give that option, for it [OPERA] to be a default web browser like the rest? or does it do it automatically!? will I have to delete it so I can keep Safari as my default?
    Only you have the answer! :eek:

Thank you for all replies, yes even the silly ones!!!

:apple:

13. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

If it didn't set itself as the default then it's not going to..?

14. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Try opening an html document and see which browser it opens in. That's your default browser. If opera didn't say it was your default browser, it won't be

Also when uninstalling apps, some preference/support files are left after just dragging the app to the trash. Download appcleaner to find all those hidden files and delete them

15. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Update!!!

Ok, as I opened Safari I looked into preferences. Under Generela, there is a scroll down window that shows which is the default browser. At the current it was Opera but I was able to change it back to Safari (currently on 4 beta).
    Again I want to thank everyone here for the replies!!!

Now....I just downloaded the MMORPG called DOFUS for the Mac, but I keep getting a message regarding the Flash player, that I have to configure the security settings on the flash player....ok now the thing is that the flash player is a plug in and not a stand alone, like in XP. How do I get a stand alone flash player (if it exists) for Mac?!

Thanks once again!!!

:apple:

Attached Files:

16. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

17. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Couldn't agree more. Opera is way ahead of any other browser I have ever tried for a whole host of reasons. It surprises me how underrated it is.

• Highly configurable
    • Built-in browser pop-mail, downloads your mail to the browser for offline viewing
    • Keyboard navigation within a webpage (only browser I have ever seen that can do this. No mouse required for anything!)
    • Bookmark syncing across the web
    • Great keyboard shortcuts (all editable)
    • fast
    • sleek look totally changeable with skins to suit user. You can even make it look like Safari should you wish
    • regularly updated
    • allows you to take you music collection with you on the web
    • Saveable Browsing Sessions

and many more! I have used Opera since windows and it survived the move over to mac. About the only thing that did.

18. durija macrumors 6502

Opera has been my #1 browser for a while. I like its Speed Dial much better than Safari's Top Sites (probably copied from Speed Dial, anyway). Most of the time, Opera seems faster. The only thing I miss is "Click to Flash" doesn't seem to work in Opera. That may drive me back to Safari.

19. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Ahh, another Opera supporter! Never actually met one in real life, just online, lol. Maybe that tells me something.

What is "click to flash"??

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

click2flash is a safari plugin, turns off flash unless you white list. Benefit is you don't see flash ads.

Browser plugins are browser specific.

21. durija macrumors 6502

Exactly my problem. There is no Opera Click2Flash plugin! And that is causing some real bogging down on a lot of sites now. It didn't used to be such an issue. I'd like to know what changed.

22. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

OK, OK. What am I missing... What does "Click2Flash" enable one to do?

23. durija macrumors 6502

If you have it installed, when you go to a page with Flash, the Flash elements do not load unless you click on them. You just have a gray box that says "Flash" until you do.

24. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Oh OK. Never heard of it but thanks for filling me in. I will check it out. :)