Opera on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FlashHead, Apr 13, 2010.

1. FlashHead macrumors regular

Still waiting, like many, for my 3G iPad, but I just downloaded Opera for my first gen. iPod Touch. WOW! That is one speedy browser. I couldn't believe how quickly pages were loading and instantaneous flipping back and forth between open pages.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this on the iPad and if the experience is notably improved or any other observations.

Thanks!

2. kultschar macrumors 6502a

3. FlashHead thread starter macrumors regular

Zooming is fine on my iPod Touch.

4. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Holy crap - that is fast, the Apple site loads very slow in my country, it flew up.

Apple have a benchmark and need to raise their game!!

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Opera is fast because they do the rendering on their servers. Every webpage you request gets rendered on Opera's servers and then is compressed down into basically an image with some extra information for links etc. which is what gets sent to you.

6. Spidermonkey macrumors newbie

I don't know about the iPad, however, the zoom on my iPhone is terrible. It's pretty rapid though

7. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

There is already a post covering this, but as said, the zoom is dreadful on this. :eek:

8. tdream macrumors 65816

The zoom is dreadful. You can't see anything when looking at the entire page. It's just blobs of text, that you must zoom in if you want to read. And the formatting is bad too. There are no multi level zoom modes either it's one or the other. It's fast but has too many shortcomings to be useable. iPad doesn't need it, you can already see everything thanks to the large screen.

Probably the main reason Apple allowed this app is to show how good safari is. Opera is a mess in comparison.