Opera or Firefox? Which Works better for you (General)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPowers, Apr 14, 2007.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

This is more of a general discussion rather than support.

Which internet browser between Opera and Firefox do you see with better performance and does not act glitchy.

Please note, this isn't which one you like more.

I say the one that works better is Opera for Macs. Opera seems to be very fast, very powerful, fast, unique, and goes very well, and rarely freezes. Firefox Freezes a lot, even at the latest versions, and at some sites, some types of javascript and stuff does not work, such as invision power board sites and myspace.

However, just because how I have my computer set up, I like Firefox more and I use it by default (to this day, I have no idea why)

2. mantic macrumors 6502a

I know this is sorta OT.. But have tried Camino?

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I haven't downloaded Opera; I use Safari on a regular basic. However, I use Firefox sometimes, but don't really see a need for it. On Firefox, however, some positioning is messed up (it's the website owner's fault though) and some input boxes don't work right.

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I think Opera is a much better browser, firefox is slow and does not render text as well as safari (IMO). Camino is much faster than Firefox and I use it from time to time. I have one big problem with Camino and Opera for mac- the UI's are ugly. This seems petty but they really distract me, especially opera.

I am fairly new to mac and when I used PC, I used only Firefox, but I must say, after using Safari, it is faster.

I just stick with safari.

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I too use Opera, and the look and feel of it always felt alien on my Mac, but luckily, someone made a skin that rectifies that problem.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The performance of each browser depends on your setup [including your ISP] and the sites that you visit. It doesn't matter if 235 other users think that some particular browser is fastest. Only the fastest browser on your computer can possibly make a difference to you.

Personal note: I have virtually every Mac-compatible browser installed on my computer. Within an eyeblink, they are all about equal in performance. Primarily, I use Safari. I also use Camino due to an issue with one of my favorite bulletin boards.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I switched to Safari because of Inquisitor and have grown to love some things about it. It is slower to browse, but MUCH faster to start up.

8. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

I find myself coming back to safari all the time too, I use Firefox and Opera too, both seem to work, and in some instances they open pages I can't open with Safari (there are a few out there), but in general, Safari just seems to work easier, and looks better. (Weren't a lot of us after an uniform look for Leopard? Safari at least blends a lot better than other apps)

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i do not use opera extensively, and can't be sure, but when I used it, it behaved quite solid. My firefox did quit on me several times, but consider my extensive use of it, I can't complain much.

Opera and firefox both have compatible and uncompatible websites, its totally depends on the websites a user need to visit. I do not think either of them has better compatibility than the other.

Since everybody have to mention safari, Let me say, when I switched to osx last july, I tried to like safari, but it just lack of so many things I need, so I eventually settle down with firefox, so far, Im very happy with it.

10. Tommyjolly macrumors member

Opera does have in fact the faster rendering engine than Firefox, but it struggles in rendering some (complex) pages correctly.
    I used to be a Firefox user as well, but I decided to not use it anymore after several crashes and ridiculous stability.

I know you didn't ask for this, but I'm a happy camino user now.
    Have you ever thought about that possibility?
    It has the looks and feel of OSX a really dedicated programing team and is a blooming fast browser. Some people think it's too basic (which isn't true though), but I love it.

11. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Never used opera, but FireFox is relly buggy. I hate using it.

12. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I prefer Safari. Opera is good, but Firefox is better, only because of it's compatibility.