Opera problems, won't locate in Spotlight!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BioCore, Dec 28, 2007.

1. BioCore macrumors regular

Hi,

I was downloading a torrent file and was about to open it in my client application. Only weird problem was that when I clicked on the file, it started top open up in Opera! The weirder thing is that I don't remember installing Opera at all! When I try to go into applications folder it is not there, nor can spotlight find it! Yet it still opens up when I click on the torrent files! Anyone know how I could have done this to my mac?

I did install divx file player to watch a video before uninstalling it again!

Oh and could someone tell me the proper way of deleting an application? I know you can just drag the app icon into trash but I also know that the preferences files remain and all! So what should I do about those?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you post a screenshot of what's happening? :)

3. BioCore thread starter macrumors regular

As you can see, whenever I do a spotlight search no records of the application ever show up!

Attached Files:

4. VoidBoi macrumors regular

IIRC, it's installed as part of Adobe CS3. The app is hidden somewhere within one of the application bundles and won't show up in spotlight.

Anyone else with CS3 installed to check where exactly it is?

EDIT: Just command-click on the icon in the dock to show where it is.

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

VoidBoi is right.

It' installed alongside Adobe Bridge.
    In your applications folder:
    Adobe Bridge - > Right click adobe bridge and select 'show package contents'
    ->Contents -> MacOS -> opera.app

To delete apps get Appcleaner.
    http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

It'll search for all related files and delete them as well.

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Opera has been bundled with the Adobe Creating Suite, they use the Presto layout engine. I think its kinda silly though that the application is hidden from the user like this. The fact that it will be installed whould be made clear early on in the installation process. This way Adobe makes the browser seem like a shady piece of software that was installed without user knowledge.