Opera un-happy with apple video.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wheaty, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Hello

I decided to give opera ago about on my mini. It used to be my browser of choice in "XP Land" a year ago, so I thought I'd give it a go as a few safari bits were niggling me.

So.. All well, until this week, when I decide to show my mum the ipad video thinking that if it suits and they ditch the laptop for one, it will do 95% of all their computing needs and more importantly free up technical support mugging me!

However Opera really does not like any of the videos on the apple website. jumpy, jerky, loosing bits of image. Most odd. Safari, Firefox, and chrome are happy.

Manages to get a screen shot after a little practice! Attached.

Not too fussed, if I find other bugs I'll try something else Firefox, chrome etc...

Oh, just found one... Ebay listing (the page for an item) has Tons of white space after the description test... Oddd..

Any ideas? I did re-install it and try again with the same result.

Wheaty

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I went to that same page with Opera and had no issues.

3. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Well my Opera obviously has an issue with content from some websites.

I wonder why. Ho hum.

Wheaty

4. BillB macrumors newbie

Which version of Opera are you using?

I'd recommend filing a bug report.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Looks like you're using an older version of Opera based on the tabs. Get 10.50 and see if it makes a difference.

6. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Thanks for the suggestion. I was on 10.10 the latest version on Opera's front page.

However, 10.50b has fixed the strange ebay white space issue.. and made the Apple video issue worse. Now the video's just don't appear, and on the ipad guided tours page it just doesn't "guide". Get as far as "click here to play" and thats it. Its like all the links have stopped working. Most strange.

I think a bug report is the way to go as some one suggested.

Although I'll have a go at version 9.somthing If I find it.

Wheaty

7. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Most Odd.

Right, well Opera is now back to version 9.64 and the video will now play happily, without jumping, flashing blank pages etc... Something to do with compression?

Allthough I have lost the "floating" play bar and have a bar at the bottom of the video now.

Ebay, however, is now back to having lots of white space in posts again. Very strange.

Right better I do something productinve now. enough of this faff.

Wheaty

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Compression may have something to do with it. Opera started using its Turbo feature a few versions ago (not sure when), but I've always turned it off as it creates artifacts in imagery. It wouldn't be a leap to suspect that it may have some negative effects on videos if it tries to compress anything associated with it. I can't remember if you can install 2 versions of Opera at the same time, but if you could get 10.50 back on and turn off Turbo you could see if that helped.

Well, I just tried turning Turbo on and going back to the iPad page and it still rendered fine for me, though was very slow to load despite having "Turbo" on, which is why I leave it off.

The only other idea I have is it could be cache related.

9. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Good idea thanks, but I spotted the Turbo and tried it already. No difference other then images are less defined etc. And yes, it seemed more Laggy! So tubo stayed off.

Cheers anyway,, I'll let you know if I find out why..

Wheaty