Opera Web Browser for OS X Gains Free Unlimited VPN Feature

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Norway-based company Opera Software has integrated a virtual private network (VPN) feature into the latest developer version of its free Opera web browser for OS X.

A VPN creates an encrypted tunnel from the user's computer to the VPN server, hiding browsing activity from other users on the local network and enhancing security and privacy online. A VPN shields a user's real IP address, allowing them to bypass firewalls, block tracking cookies, and access geo-restricted content regardless of their true location.

VPNs usually come in the form of separate plug-ins or apps that require a paid subscription, making Opera one the first major browsers to include one as standard. The launch of the feature comes after Opera's acquisition of U.S. VPN company SurfEasy last March.

Currently Opera's built-in VPN allows users to choose virtual locations in the US, Canada, and Germany. Opera says more countries will be available when the feature makes it to the stable public release of the browser.

Mac users can download Opera 38 developer release and give the free, unlimited VPN a try. After installation, simply click "Opera" in the menu bar, select "Preferences" and toggle the VPN switch on.

According to Global Web Index, more than half a billion people (24 percent of the world's online population) have tried or are currently using VPN services. According to the research, the primary reasons people use a VPN are for better access to entertainment content, browser anonymity, and the ability to access sites restricted by their workplace or country.

In January, Netflix began blocking users who try to bypass country-based content restrictions by using a VPN. Canadian subscribers to the streaming service appear to have been the latest targets of the crackdown after VPN-tunnelled users in the country began seeing error messages on their screens over the weekend when trying to access the service's much larger U.S. catalogue of movies and TV series.

Article Link: Opera Web Browser for OS X Gains Free Unlimited VPN Feature

Reactions: AlexH and Jess13

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
This should make it really convenient for the FBI/NSA to gather all your browsing data with just one request. Or perhaps they already have direct feed.

Reactions: throAU and Mums

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This should make it really convenient for the FBI/NSA to gather all your browsing data with just one request. Or perhaps they already have direct feed.
I'm not sure what a VPN has to do with anything above. You must think the above is not possible w/o a VPN. With or w/o a VPN web traffic is still flowing through an ISP. A VPN protects you a little better from amateur snoopers when you are using public wi-fi. That's all.

vooke

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2014
In January, Netflix began blocking users who try to bypass country-based content restrictions by using a VPN. Canadian subscribers to the streaming service appear to have been the latest targets of the crackdown after VPN-tunnelled users in the country began seeing error messages on their screens over the weekend when trying to access the service's much larger U.S. catalogue of movies and TV series.
Well, Netflix is doing a poor job because I can access all US contents from my cave in East Africa

Reactions: centauratlas

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
And why are you this paranoid about the law, presuming you are not doing something illegal?

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Well, Netflix is doing a poor job because I can access all US contents from my cave in East Africa
And Netflix is implementing region restrictions even further now?
Although I don't use Netflix.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That Opera is not planning to charge for this for the time being, makes me wonder how much they thought this through to begin with. Operating a VPN costs money, a lot of money when people use it for streaming media.

They haven’t been applying blockades to everyone yet. I can use it just fine, whereas my brother (living in the same country) cannot, even with the same VPN provider. He tried others too, but to no avail.

bekiil

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
Northern Norway
Great news for users in countries like Russia, China, Iran, SA, Cuba, etc etc. Hope they download this before their suppressive governments notices this.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Has Opera been sold to china yet?
If it is, then there would be no VPN alike at all.
[doublepost=1461248724][/doublepost]
Great news for users in countries like Russia, China, Iran, SA, Cuba, etc etc. Hope they download this before their suppressive governments notices this.
Version is not the problem. Problem is if those citizens could use it.

vertsix

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2015
Looks nice on paper, but how fast?

Most free VPNs are extremely slow.

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
Thought I'd give it a go. Went to Neflix US and it worked for about an hour, before I got a 'whoops, something went wrong, it seems you're using a proxy, blah, blah, blah' Hasn't worked since, which is a shame as I've always preferred the US content to the UK.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2015
near Boston, MA
I'm not sure what a VPN has to do with anything above. You must think the above is not possible w/o a VPN. With or w/o a VPN web traffic is still flowing through an ISP. A VPN protects you a little better from amateur snoopers when you are using public wi-fi. That's all.
Please explain further, assuming a non-compromised PC/OS to begin with.

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
If you download the correct version it is free; need to watch out for the WebRTC leak - most of the extensions fail to correctly resolve the issue on the Opera browser. Not something to have any concern with when using a VPN and Safari hence the need for the reminder!

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
They already collect everything.
The NSA and the FBI can sniff my junk all they want. What I'm concerned about is ads for that sex toy I looked at following me from Amazon to Facebook and then somehow ending up in my mother's Inbox.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.