Opera Web Browser Redesign Brings Quick Access to Chat Apps

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Opera web browser has undergone a major user interface redesign that features quick access tools to popular messaging apps including WhatsApp, Telegram, and Facebook Messenger (via TechCrunch).

Codenamed "Reborn", the design overhaul project has been evident in beta builds for some weeks, but the new browser version is now available as a stable release and existing users should receive the update automatically over the next few days.

The messaging service access appears as sidebar icon for each chat platform, which invokes a popup with existing conversation lists. Users are able to start chatting from the sidebar while they browse the web. Chat app shortcuts are also displayed on the Speed Dial homepage.

Buttons and tabs have been reworked, with more prominent shadows and subtle animations. Also included in the redesign are new-look Speed Dial themes, refreshed icons, and a new dark mode featuring dark toolbars.

Opera also continues to include a free VPN and a built-in ad blocker. The web browser is a free download for Mac from the Opera website.

Article Link: Opera Web Browser Redesign Brings Quick Access to Chat Apps

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
Snow Leopard once again misses out.

When can we have an up to date Web Browser. Currently the latest we can use is Firefox 45 ESR which isn't exactly what you would describe as current.

There are a significant number of Mac users still using Snow Leopard be it by choice or Hardware constraints.

Time for developers to get their act together.
[doublepost=1494414391][/doublepost]Indeed Safari has improved immensely from v.9 onwards
Still going to use it, sorry kids. iCloud features have me loving safari.

stainless

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Colorado
Actually I suggest giving it an honest try! I find that it's not a CPU hog (chrome team are you listening!), it has great sharing features and offers build in Ad Blocking. I use it a lot when I need a VPN to test websites, etc.

Reactions: atmenterprises

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

When can we have an up to date Web Browser. Currently the latest we can use is Firefox 45 ESR which isn't exactly what you would describe as current.

There are a significant number of Mac users still using Snow Leopard be it by choice or Hardware constraints.

[doublepost=1494414391][/doublepost]Indeed Safari has improved immensely from v.9 onwards
Really don't see why developers should be obligated to continue to support older OSs. If you have an hardware constraint, then it's probably time to look for a new Mac as your primary machine or find some sort of patching software/hardware to bypass this limitation. If you are staying in the stone ages by choice, don't complain that you're getting left behind by everyone.

Also, Agreed

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

Snow Leopard? Not gong to happen my friend. That would be considered wasted resources.

CarlJ

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA

If you want to use a 7-year-old OS, that got its last release 5 years ago, that's your choice. But castigating developers for not supporting your choice is ludicrous. There have been SIX major releases since then, with a seventh rapidly approaching. It's like complaining that you're not getting enough support for sending and receiving messages by telegraph.

Janichsan

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2006
I use a mixture of Safari and Chrome, I don't see the allure of adding a third browser to the mix (or replacing what works well)
Whatever floats your boat, but I personally find Opera often more agreeable to work with than Chrome.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Free VPN for some times when I need that service. :D
Not sure I trust a company that offers free vpn, if I want vpn, I value my privacy and I have no idea that there are no back doors.

To put it another way, if they're offering it for free how are they making money - we're the product being sold and VPN is no different.

Reactions: macintoshmac

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Just like Chrome, Firefox and others.
They're not offering free vpn, and even if they were, my concern remains. I don't want use free vpn because I'm the commodity that is being sold. Opera isn't giving away VPN out of the goodness of their heart. Its a business decision and one they're looking to generate revenue.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
They're not offering free vpn, and even if they were, my concern remains. I don't want use free vpn because I'm the commodity that is being sold. Opera isn't giving away VPN out of the goodness of their heart. Its a business decision and one they're looking to generate revenue.

Still a free browser. And their developers aren't working for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.