Opera's there, but its not...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hls811, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Ok - I'm stumped with this one.. for some reason certain tasks will allow me to use Opera as my browser, either to open an HTML page or BitTorrent. For example if i go to a Doc or Torrent file and choose 'Open as...' Opera is listed as an option. Yet Opera is not installed on my computer - I don't think since I did a fresh install of Leopard I even went to the Opera website..

The weirdest part is, if I do a spotlight search for Opera no apps or files come up which would direct me to where this is installed so that i can uninstall it. alot of documents come up that contains the word 'opera' but nothing related..

The frustrating part is that it seems to have taken over the file association w/ all my of my torrent files; even if I manually select the correct app (transmission) and then check off "Always Open with" - it'll revert the default back to Opera.

Any ideas? its kind of annoying!

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Have you installed any Adobe software? Photoshop, that sort of application?

I know it comes bundled with that for some reason, I have the same thing you've described.

It's easy enough to re-assign the program you want to open your torrents, just right click on one, goto Get Info, change the 'Open with' to the program of your choice, and then click 'Change All...' . That should sort it. :)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I did install Photoshop, but its the same one I had w/ Tiger and never had that happen... And for some reason the "Open With" feature didn't take - once I close out of everything Opera takes over again. - I did try that before posting...

I also followed the link Eraserhead sent and did the manual disable of Opera's Torrent and re-association with an application - and all that does is open Opera AND Transmission at the same time!!!

This really annoys me that somehow Opera is installed on my MBP and I can't uninstall it - to me, its no different than Spyware (and that was one of the reasons I switched from a PC!)

I'm going to try and download Opera, and then do an unistall - hopefully that'll get rid of everything - otherwise I'm going to be one cranky Opera Hatin' SOB! :)

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Opera is included with Adobe Products, and has been for some time. People get spooked when they see it, but its completely benign. Adobe only uses its rendering engine for some things. And also, calling it spyware is unneccesary, because its not broadcasting any information about you to anyone. The problem here is that you installed an application and didnt bother to check what was gonna be installed...

6. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Thats fine if it needs to install it - but how to I UNINSTALL it?

I did download and install the latest version and then tried removing it, but afterwards its still the same as before.

I didn't mean it was spyware in the sense that its transmitting information back, I meant it more than its an annoyance - something I didn't install - don't recall EVER seeing an option or warning telling me it was installing and is overwriting settings and the way in which I want to use my computer.
    (If its a part of Adobe, thats fine - I just don't recall seeing it before I did a clean install to Leopard, and I don't like that its not un-installable (or allowing me to just not use it).

7. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

OK - I got rid of it... I un-installed Adobe Bridge and Device Central - I don't use either, but it was somehow linked to those.

And for what its worth - on my other Mac with Leopard and CS3 installed, Opera doesn't show up in the "Open With..." lists... Seems like something I had on my MBP provoked it and make it start...

Oh well - as long as its gone!

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Who would even want to get rid of Opera? :rolleyes: I love Opera, because if other browsers were kinky people, Opera would be spanking them and making them its sex slaves.

In all seriousness, though, I understand being frustrated at not knowing when a program gets installed with another. I've had a lot of problems like that, but did you give Opera a chance at all, by any chance? :D *Opera Fanboy*

9. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I'm sure its fine browser - I use OperaMini on my Blackberry, but on my Mac all I need is Safari :D *Mac Fanboy* ;)

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Still thinking like a Windows user. Opera and Safari are completely independent of each other. As such, they do not interfere with each other. Both browsers are tops in terms of standards-compliance. Having both on your machine allows you to use both to workaround device-dependencies that some webmasters build into their sites.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But it looks like its being a bit keen with Torrents here ;).

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have Safari, Opera, and BitTorrent. On my machine, Opera has no effect at all on torrents.

13. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

That was my initial issue - it did hijack the torrents..

Regardless, I actually did try Opera on my mac before, for the reason you stated - to work around a Safari issue, but unfortunately - even Opera couldn't read the page.. For some reason it required IE6 or higher and I couldn't figure out a way around that...

I'm not knocking Opera as a browser, like I said, I'm sure its fine (and I LOVE it on my Blackberry) - I just haven't found a need for it. I like to keep as few things on my Mac as I need, thats all..