Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ringer2071

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
i recently was prompted to update my macbook computer and after loading the new update it said would need to restart computer. so it restarted and started loading the new update and was about 90 percent done when it said failed and froze i restarted the computer and now all it does is sit there at the start up screen and does nothing. i was told by geek squad that my operating system (snowlepord) might be corrupted so that i would have to reinstall snowlepord again. he said there are hot keys to pull up the configuration menu were i would be able to reinstall my operating system but i have no idea how to bring up that menu any information would be very helpful they wanted 100 bucks just to look at my computer that doesnt include fix it. please help im not very computer savy so please be patient with me but all help is appreciated

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Place Your SL DVD

i recently was prompted to update my macbook computer and after loading the new update it said would need to restart computer. so it restarted and started loading the new update and was about 90 percent done when it said failed and froze i restarted the computer and now all it does is sit there at the start up screen and does nothing. i was told by geek squad that my operating system (snowlepord) might be corrupted so that i would have to reinstall snowlepord again. he said there are hot keys to pull up the configuration menu were i would be able to reinstall my operating system but i have no idea how to bring up that menu any information would be very helpful they wanted 100 bucks just to look at my computer that doesnt include fix it. please help im not very computer savy so please be patient with me but all help is appreciated

In the drive.

Hold Down The CMD and OPTION keys whilst booting the machine (keep the keys pressed as the machine boots up.

More info:

http://macs.about.com/od/snowleopardmacosx106/qt/cleaninstall_sl.htm

ringer2071

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My computer wont go past the loading stage the white apple symbol With the rotating circle I cant get it to do anything and I dont know what to Do I looked at that think And from what I can tell is that is for when your on ur desktop? ??

ringer2071

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
What? I cant do anything on my computer wont go anywhere turns on white apple screen and sits there does nothing after that

Bigchef89

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
Tx

Is iT lion look for the force internetnrecovery keys, its not cmd r its more but it tests everything and will reinstall, if it was a bad firmware update apple storemu go

ringer2071

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I had lion before then I bought snowlepord worked great for like I said about 4 months then it prompted me for a update update failed restarted and now wont go past the start up screen even with snowlepord in the drive is there a diagnostic I can bring up upon start up or anything like a PC has?

Bigchef89

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
Tx
I had lion before then I bought snowlepord worked great for like I said about 4 months then it prompted me for a update update failed restarted and now wont go past the start up screen even with snowlepord in the drive is there a diagnostic I can bring up upon start up or anything like a PC has?

Google it, ou have saved bom records, plus it lion has a diff partition, I hate the geniuses but honestly sounds like a firmware update went bad, comp thought u had lion saw the bom files and pushed the wrong ones down, I'm sure ifnyounresearch there's a fix but if it's still under warranty just lie say lion was working so awesome and a firmware update froze what are they gunna do hit you

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I honestly couldn't understand anything in the above posts, they had so many grammar errors.

Since you have Snow Leopard, then put the installation disks that came with the computer in the disk drive while it boots. If you need to, then restart after the disks are in the drive, while holding CMD and C. If that doesn't get you anything, take it to an Apple store. Geeks quad is expensive and unreliable.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I just want to see if I understand.

1) You bought a used macbook a few months ago.
2) It had Lion on it when you bought it.
3) You installed Snow Leopard on it.
4) Everything was fine for a while.
5) You checked for updates, found some, and applied them.
6) During the update process, the MacBook said there was a failure.
7) Now, the OS does not boot.

Is all of that correct?

Questions:
1) What happens when you old the option key while booting?
2) Do you have a Snow Leopard Installation Disc?
3) Do you have your data backed up (time machine or otherwise)?

ringer2071

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
that is all exactly correct. when i boot the computer up and hold the option key nothing happens. yes i have snow lepord disc and have tried to put it in upon start up and nothing happens and the only thing that i have gotten it to do is upon start up if i hold the **** key a loadin bar will appear and start loading to about 40 percent and then disappear and then nothing will happen just sits there as far as backing the computer up i dont care about anything on the computer as far as files or anything i only used it for internet and music. does that help ? i appreciate it!

----------

and one other thing i did no go looking for update it automatically prompted me to update upon start up so i did

----------

and i tried the cmd c with disc in and nothing happens. also i was told that they wouldnt even look at it at the apple store with out paying them i want to do this the cheapest way possible but im afraid its looking worse and worse

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
It sounds like a hardware problem.

The computer can't find something or fails to do something, and then won't boot. It could have been a failed firmware upgrade. That wouldn't be caused by what version of OS X you're using though.

The Apple Store will look at it for free, but they won't repair it for free (unless it is something they can fix WHILE they are diagnosing it (like holding 'X' as it boots)). You have nothing to lose by trying.

You could try removing the hard drive and/or RAM and booting without those. I know it won't work without those, but remove them and see if the computer boots differently.

Then put them back in and try again. It is possible that the ram is loose and reseating it could solve the problem, but is so unlikely I almost didn't mention it.

If it is possible (and I don't know if it is) you could download the latest firmware update from apple, put it on a CD or USB (whatever apple says to use) and try booting with that. Worth a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.