Operating System Qiestion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Treypound, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Treypound macrumors newbie

I have a power mac g3 not sure of the specs but id assune theyre the basics I was wondering since it has jaguar on it now should I upgrade to tiger 10.4or should I stay with jaguar?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How much RAM? (You can view this by clicking on the blue apple in the upper left corner and selecting "About this Mac.")

Also, do you know how much HD storage you have?

The system requirements for Tiger (OS 10.4) can be viewed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1514

3. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I had a 600MHz G3 white, 12-inch dual-USB iBook that came with Jaguar and 256MB of RAM. I eventually upgraded the RAM to the max 640MB and put in a 120GB hard drive and installed Tiger, and it actually ran a bit faster than it had on Jaguar. I would still be using it this very minute if the logic board hadn't died (a common issue on this particular model) on Saturday. If your PowerMac is comparable to my iBook, I can say with confidence that you will be better off with Tiger than Jaguar. Not only will it be a bit faster, but you will gain so, so much from a usability standpoint.