Operating System without automatic graphics switching?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odedia, Dec 11, 2014.

1. odedia macrumors 65816

Hi.

I'm one of the many users who are affected by the 2011 MacBook Pro discrete graphics fiasco, where the machine would halt if it switched to discrete AMD GPU.

I already ordered another machine but I was wondering if I can resurrect my MacBook Pro for casual tasks. GFxcardstatus works most of the time butneouldnstill hang occasionally.

Then I remembered that when I BOUGHT the machine, it did not have automatic graphics switching. You had to choose which GPU you want in system preferences. That wold be ideal for me, I'll just set it to integrated the whole time.

Does anyone remember which version of OS X had this feature?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In all versions of OS X, disabling automatic graphics switching would enable the dGPU all the time and leave the iGPU inactive.

And if you want to restore it to its former glory, have a third party reball a new GPU in with leaded solder, and reapply the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU.

3. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

The problem isn't the type of solder used - the fact is the AMD chips in these machines simply aren't any good.

If you've got some free time, you can watch this fantastic video explaining why reballing with leaded solder isn't going to fix anything:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AcEt073Uds

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

You can disable the dGPU once in Mac OS. In Windows, you actually only use the dGPU. The problem is the boot sequence needs to verify the dGPU before starting os x. I know there are some uefi commands that will help with the issue, I just don't know them off hand.

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Early 2011's shipped with snow Leopard. Late 2011's shipped with Lion.

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

At least you're recommending a new GPU

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Precisely. It's not the best way (the AMD chip will fail again), but a new Radeon 6770M doesn't cost much these days, and at least it'll keep you chugging for another 3 years.

8. dyt1983, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

9. JoelTheSuperior, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

He's not the best at explaining it - but I'd argue his points are mostly valid.

The failure timer comment was quite clearly made in jest - similar to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_timer

Whilst it's true that you don't have to melt the solder to weaken it and expand it, considering how most lead-free solder has melting points of around 215ºc I find it difficult to believe that, when you've got a GPU rated for 105ºc (or thereabouts, depends on the chip) that the solder would fail before the chip does.

Something else I found:
    I'm not an expert on chip fab but from what I can gather in a lot of cases the issue is caused by problems with the connectivity between the die and the chip itself - ie not between the chip and the motherboard:

[​IMG]

Essentially it's quite likely that the reballing is simply heating up these 'bumps' between the die and the chip as a side effect and that's what's actually making the chip behave again.

Of course, what we don't know is what the extent of the damage to the die itself is.

10. dyt1983, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

11. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

That was probably the OS the machine shipped with. Simply reinstall the original OS. If it came with disks then use the disks.