iPad mini Opinion about getting the new iPad or new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FX4568, Sep 14, 2013.

?

Which?

1. Buy the 5S, don't buy the mini

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Buy the mini, keep the 4S.

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. FX4568 macrumors 6502

So I have a 4S, and with the release of the 5S, my contract is up.
    I was thinking of switching to pre-paid with the 4S and save a good $300 a year, and get an iPad mini.
    My logic is the following, my iPhone is mainly used as texting, calling and listening to music on the go. I rarely use it to browse the web or even play games. I take pictures, but I think the 4S is good enough.

I would get the iPad mini to use it at home when im browsing the web or taking a ****, taking few notes, and watching movies.

Obviously, I can already do the above with my MBA, but obviously, I want something new.

So what do you guys think? Use the money I will save by going pre-paid and buy a mini, or just switch to the 5S and keep using my MBA.

2. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

3. courboy macrumors regular

I'm in a similar situation; iphone 4s, macbook pro retina 15", ipad mini. I am torn between upgrading the phone, ipad, or potentially both.

However, since upgrading my phone to ios 7, I think I will keep this until the 6 comes out and hopefully is a more substantial upgrade. As much as I love my ipad mini (which I sold my ipad 3 for), I think the ipad 5 will be exactly what I want.

So in summary, i'll be selling the ipad mini to upgrade for the ipad 5 and keeping the 4s for another year.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

If you haven't had any experience with an iPad before, you should get one instead of upgrading an iPhone. I think you already have an answer ;)

iPad is actually a magical device because you can focus on what you do and nothing else. This is when technology goes away :)

5. hbksabhi macrumors regular

wait for a month more ,
    new what apple have up their sleeve with the new iPad 5 and new mini

6. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

My uses for my iPhone are similar to yours.

I have an iPhone 5 and was looking to upgrade to the 5S or 5C but after really thinking about it; I figured by updating to iOS7, this will give my iPhone 5 a new breath of life therefore I'll just save my money towards replacing my iPad 3 (where i get the most enjoyment) to the rumored iPad 5:D and wait to get the iPhone 6 next year, when I believe Apple will most probably redesign the model.

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I wish I was in this position. I guess I would upgrade my iPod touch even though I don't need it.

8. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

Since you dont game/web browse on a mobile device, i think its unnecessary to buy the mini. Furthermore, web browsing/taking notes will be much better on MBA.

9. oaktree macrumors regular

I would keep the 4s and buy an iPad, but that's me. The mini would be too small for me.

10. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

What would you do then if you were in my position?

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

get a mini, I have one and a MBP, sure I don't use the iPad as much since I got it but it still has it's useless. But since all you do is text/call/music it would be useless to go pay more money for a phone that has almost no use to you

12. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Similar situation. I'll keep the iPhone 5 and trade in the iPad 3 for the iPad 5. Next year I'll get the iPhone 6.

13. Shanghaichica, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I would keep the 4S and get the mini. From your usage the 4S seems like it will be fine for you for a while longer. Also, the way I look at it unless the device you want to upgrade is broken/ doesn't suit your needs anymore, it makes more sense to get a device you don't already have as it adds to what you have.

I had a different dilemma this weekend. I have a Samsug galaxy S4 an iPad mini and a Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. I had an iPod touch 5th gen but gifted it to my younger cousin as a reward for doing well in his exams last month. Was trying to decide between upgrading my galaxy tab to a galaxy note 10.1 or picking up a new iPod touch. In the end I went for the iPod touch, as I reasoned that my tab 2 works well enough and isn't my only tablet. Yet at the moment I don't have an iPod touch and miss the functionality of it.