Opinion: Apple Watch will never get a cellular chip

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rowdt1, Jul 16, 2015.

1. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Come to think about it, when the Apple Watch gets a cellular chip the iPhone will become obsolete. People will instead buy an iPod Touch which then does the same thing the iPhone does now, especially after yesterday's incredible hardware upgrade. The only thing then that sets the iPhone apart from the iPod is Touch ID and the larger screen and I assume many people won't care all that much about those features if they can save a lot of money. Since the iPhone is Apple's largest cash cow (92% of all smartphone profits worldwide are made by Apple) and the impact a cellular chip in the AW will have I highly doubt the likability of this upgrade. Any thoughts on this?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPad proves that you can have a cellular data connection without a phone number attached to it.

Problem solved.

3. c55 macrumors regular

c55

I think the Apple Watch will continue to be an iPhone companion rather than a stand alone device for a long time. They may add iPad-like cellular functionality down the road but it's not something I would expect to see for many years.  Watch doesn't even have true wifi capabilities yet.

I'll say this - if Apple got rid of the Plus model I would switch to android immediately.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Both my family's iPad minis have phone numbers associated with them on my Att account even though they can't receive calls and texts to those numbers. I don't know why Att squanders numbers on devices that can't make or receive calls or send and receive texts (other than with imessage) but they do. Recently my cell number fell into the hands of some unsavory characters and I decided to change it. When I called Att to change it, they said they were "out of numbers" for my area code. Imagine that! While they are squandering numbers on iPads they are out of numbers for me to switch to.

I agree with the OP that AW will not get a cell chip anytime soon but not so much to protect iPhone profits. I think it's because of battery life. I mean I'd much rather sell a $12000 gold AW than a $700 iPhone. But if LTE2 or whatever comes out with cell chips that use a lot less power then there's nothing stopping Apple from making a version of AW that has its own cellular and I would expect it to only show up in higher end more profitable models. Apple doesn't mind cannibalizing its other profit lines as long as they can make a profit on the new thing replacing the old thing.

5. c55 macrumors regular

c55

everything with a SIM card has a phone number, it's how they tie your iPad to the AT&T account. even those old usb cellular dongles that plug into a laptop have cell phone numbers

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yep. It's just a matter of the provider provisions voice for it.

I think the Watch gets a cellular radio at some point. I want the ability to mirror my phone number across my iPhone and Watch so I can leave my phone at home when I go out.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually it does have a unique phone number attached to it. You can see it on your cell phone bill.

You can also see it under General: About: Cellular Data Number

8. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

This.

The amount of power a cellular radio consumes, particularly on a call, would mean busy people may not even get an hour out of it before it needs recharging. No market would bear that product, particularly when the user couldn't begin to predict how long the device would last because call usage would impact battery life dramatically.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Battery technology is improving. The battery in the Watch will not remain stagnant. Neither will the efficiencies of a cellular radio. It will happen. Probably not next generation, but likely the third or fourth.

10. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I agree, though baring in mind that most iPhone users have to charge the phone daily, and the battery in that is several factors larger, I think it will take quite a leap in battery technology to get usable life out of a cellular-equipped watch, even with projected improvements in cellular radio efficiencies.

With all the other demands for enhancements, such as GPS, additional sensors, always-on display etc, Apple may have to make very selective choices in what features to use improved battery capacity on.

11. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I think we're some ways off from battery technology improving to the point that it could power a cell radio in addition to everything else. In order for it to be realistic, I would guess the battery would have to provide at least two hours of talk time + day standby + the baseline watch requirements for notifications, workouts, etc. We're not even close.

12. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I would like the AW to have a cellular connection. Especially since OS2 is bringing native apps. If battery life can hold true to be "all day" then I would like it to have a cellular connection. And off-topic but since Wi-Fi calling is becoming more mainstream then I think soon we will be able to make and accept phone calls on our AW even when no where near out phone or if the phone is dead.

13. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Give them another 8-10 years before the next big leap in volume-producible battery technology. Then we can start realistically talking about adding cellular radios to the AW.