Opinion: Compelling reason to upgrade to iLife '08?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elbruelsio, Apr 23, 2008.

1. elbruelsio macrumors member

I would like to ask all of you wonderful people if you have an opinion on iLife '08. Would you recommend that people upgrade? Has it changed your life in some way? Is it mediocre at best? Is it worth the money or not?

Many thanks,

El Bruelsio

BTW, you all rock!

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

My Macs came with iLife '08 but I did have the opportunity to try the '06 apps and everything in '08 to me seems better with the exception of iMovie. They needed to keep some of the video editing tools. They did away with a lot of video effects/sound effects that they should have kept.

I was informed that because of this and the cry from the Mac community they offered iMovieHD as a free download for iLife '08 owners so I got it, now I have all the tools I need.

The ultimate decision is yours. For me I like it better than the previous with the exception mentioned above. Has it changed my life? Not in any spiritual/medical/etc way, but it has made sharing my photos movies easier, then again, don't all the iLife apps do that?

I like it.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

I love iMovie 08 for what it is intended for compared to trying to use 06 for what 08 was intended for.

Also, iPhoto 08 is much better than 06 if you are ok with the 'event' schema. If you like having meticulous folder structure for your photos, then iPhoto and you won't play well.

The other apps aren't 'worth it' to me for their extra features...well maybe the new themes on iDVD, but you'd have to burn a lot of dvd's to want new themes.

Bottom line: I purchased it (my mac came with iLife 06) and iPhoto and iMovie were completely worth it to me.

4. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

iPhoto '08 is excellent. I use it often to create slideshows and smart albums (such as include all pictures taken in the last 30 days). Very easy to use and integrates well with Front Row.

Not sure the benefits compared to '06.

iMovie is very good with its skimming to different parts of the movie and adding various effects. The negative is the low import and export times - very slow.

I don't use iWeb or iDVD (so 90's...)

5. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I haven't used an iLife app in four years. It seems like every year the minimum requirements on half the apps skyrocket. I don't think I can run iMovie or iDVD anymore :p

6. kflook macrumors member

I've had iLife '04, '05, '06 and now '08. My G4 (thanks to the Intel switch) got left in the dust so I had to keep iMovie '06, aside from that part of it I really like the new features in '08. iPhoto is probably my most used application out of the whole set.