Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2955

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Hey all,
Looking for some opinions...I got a BSE full body wrap a few weeks ago and installed the back just fine. Front turned out god awful and I trashed it and asked for a replacement. I followed the instructions based on their website and youtube videos and it still had a white, ghosty appearance even after two days. I should be getting the replacement today.

Opinions: should I even bother? I was probably going to get a Power Support crystal when they come out mid-April. I could throw the BSE on eBay I guess?

The last BSE install was so frustrating...would Best Buy install this or do they only do the ones you can buy at the store? Has anyone had success installing without water or water only (no soap?)

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
It'll probably come out just as poorly as your original one. BSE for the back is great, but for the front it's garbage. I've had mine on for over a wek now and still have that white, ghosty appearance.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
My BSE on the front turned out just fine... Try it again (what do you have to lose), and do this:

1) Go into the bathroom, close the door, and turn on the shower as hot as you can get it. Leave it on for 10 minutes until the room is steamy. Install your BSE front in here when the room is ready - the moisture will cause all the dust floating around to fall to the ground.

2) Use ONLY water. The soap is mostly what's causing the white mucky stuff. You'll get a little bit with just water (that will go away much faster), but soap is not needed.

3) Dip your fingers in water before you put on the skin. Peel the skin half off the backing, spray it with water then peel the rest off. Make sure the entire skin has water on it but shake it a bit (to remove excess) before placing it.

4) Use a credit card (check with your finger to make sure it has a smooth edge) wrapped in a thing cloth to squeegee the bubbles out. Take your time and push them all out. If you see scratches on the screen after this, don't sweat it, those scratches will heal themselves after 2-3 days. Mine had about 5 scratches after my squeegee'ing and they were all gone in 2 days.

5) If you see some lint on the edges you didn't get, you can still pick up the edge and tweezer out the lint, putting the edge back down.

Let us know how it goes if you re-do... I really like the BSE material, feels smooth and nice, it reduces fingerprints but does not remove them entirely.

rp2955

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I will give it a go again tonight and report back. I will go the shower route and see if that improves it. I had one of the SGP ultra fine (anti finger print) that I put on (much easier to install than BSE) but I didn't like the look of it (made screen fuzzy) and it had two defects where the adhesive came loose and created air bubbles so it's on its way back.

So I am down to either BSE or wait for PS in April. I guess if I blow this up I will just see if I can get a refund and wait out the PS. I much prefer the static solution over this water based crap.

rp2955

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Gave it another go

So I took the advice posted earlier about finding a room with some humidity (I used a vaporizer to get it steamy) and tried the front BSE install again last night about 9pm. So the positive is that at least from an installation perspective it went much smoother. I only used water. I didn't see a single dust/lint spot on the screen so good call on that for sure. I spent 15 mins with a squeegee and worked the big bubbles out and worked on some of the smaller bubbles as well. I ran my hand over it and I really couldn't feel any lumps so I thought I did a pretty damn good job. Some moisture was still there in spots but I expected that.

So I wake up this morning and take a look at it...a lot of the moisture spots had dried but now I see about 6-8 small air bubbles. I don't think these are from dust.

So I know the website states 24-48 hours for full adhesion...what are the chances these bubbles will stretch out? I will try and post a pic tonight.

JustCrusin

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Gave mine a second go last night. Much better than first application. Will wait the full 48 hours to make a full review.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
Applied mine yesterday and had a similar experience - the back looks awesome this morning, but the front still has a white ghosty appearance. I'm tempted to take it off and try again. Did they send you a replacement for free? I'm not sure I want to pony up $14 for something that may work better on the second go.

rp2955

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, they sent me one for free and I didn't need to send the old one back. I basically said it was defective after following the instructions perfectly. They seem to be pretty good about that stuff. SGP, on the other hand, is making me take a picture before I send it back (didn't like the ultra fine look).

In any event, if I still see the bubbles tomorrow, I am going to assume they aren't going away and I might ask for a full refund. You shouldn't have to spend an hour and have all the stars align just right to get this product to work. I have done everything exactly as stated on the website (and moreso) so I feel I am entitled to a refund if it doesn't work.

Power Support is where I am going next...and then I am giving up.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I just dint think their quality is as good as power support, wrapsol, or SGP. My wrapsol is perfect!

I just installed wrapsol a couple days ago and i have to say it is perfect. Really easy install and i had no streaks or anything. The whole install took maybe 10 minutes and i am usually not good with putting on skins. The key is to spray alot of that solution they provide and if you can do the install in the bathroom after you have run the hot water to make it humid it helps since all the dust and lint fall to the ground and you wont have any stuck on your screen after the install. Anyway i highly suggest wrapsol as it is a perfect fit!

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
Power Support is where I am going next...and then I am giving up.

I just submitted a ticket - we'll see how it goes. I really like the way the back came out, but the front is not servicable as it stands. I've had great experience with Power Support in the past. I had one on my 1st gen iPhone for over two years - it stood up well to daily use and abuse.

rp2955

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I just installed wrapsol a couple days ago and i have to say it is perfect. Really easy install and i had no streaks or anything.

Which wrapsol did you get? The Ultra or the clean? I see they sell these at local Wal Marts so it might be worth getting and trying out (and returning) if it doesn't work. Is the ultra pretty clear? Looks like the original is a matte texture.

rp2955

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Update

I must say, after essentially 36 hours, the skin is looking pretty good. The 6 to 8 minor bubbles that I saw before are essentially gone. There is probably 3 small patches of micro bubbles that are still present but hopefully those will go away in the next day or so.

Ironically, SGP is going to send me a replacement for my defective Ultra Fine with their Crystal version so I have a backup in case the BSE doesn't quite clear up (or put it out on eBay).

So I guess to sum up...the shower/humidity in the room was the answer at least for me. I don't see a single piece of lint on the screen which was a nightmare the first time around. In the future, I will still probably go the static cling route as I think that install is still much easier. But for now, will stick with the BSE for the next few days to see if it completely clears.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Hey all,
Looking for some opinions...I got a BSE full body wrap a few weeks ago and installed the back just fine. Front turned out god awful and I trashed it and asked for a replacement. I followed the instructions based on their website and youtube videos and it still had a white, ghosty appearance even after two days. I should be getting the replacement today.

Opinions: should I even bother? I was probably going to get a Power Support crystal when they come out mid-April. I could throw the BSE on eBay I guess?

The last BSE install was so frustrating...would Best Buy install this or do they only do the ones you can buy at the store? Has anyone had success installing without water or water only (no soap?)

I installed Bodyguardz on the back, but will probably go PS when they come out. Though it's annoying they're not released yet. I really like their phone films.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I just installed wrapsol a couple days ago and i have to say it is perfect. Really easy install and i had no streaks or anything.

Which wrapsol did you get? The Ultra or the clean? I see they sell these at local Wal Marts so it might be worth getting and trying out (and returning) if it doesn't work. Is the ultra pretty clear? Looks like the original is a matte texture.

I get the original wet install as it is the only option for front and back protection. The front is pretty clear not as clear as power support but it's clear enough that you wouldn't notice if you never had the power support. The back has a matte feel which looks great and feels great as it provides nice grip

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

Their web site says the iPad films are not sold in stores.

Edit: Walmart's web site that is.

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I had horrible luck with my BSE back only as there were about 4-5 air bubbles that have not gone away after about a week. I emailed their support dept for an exchange or return Sunday night and still waiting on a response back.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.