Jul 26, 2010
I'm selling my 21.5" iMac:

3.6ghz i5 processor
8GB Apple RAM
1 TB HD
Radeon 5670 GPU
Trackpad
Mouse

I got offered 1200 for it. I'm thinking about taking it, using my student discount and upgrading to a top of the line 27" iMac.

Worth it? Opinions?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well he offered you more than it's realistically worth so the deal is in your favor. A 2011 quad core refurb can be purchased for $999 although yours has a 1TB hard drive which is nice. The ram upgrade costs a trivial amount from any third party retailer. If you wish to upgrade at the moment, he's offering you quite a lot for it.

JHorstmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Well he offered you more than it's realistically worth so the deal is in your favor. A 2011 quad core refurb can be purchased for $999 although yours has a 1TB hard drive which is nice. The ram upgrade costs a trivial amount from any third party retailer. If you wish to upgrade at the moment, he's offering you quite a lot for it.
I agree. I did upgrade the processor, RAM, and graphics card (i believe)... I spent 1500 on it... I thought it was a good deal on my half.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I agree. I did upgrade the processor, RAM, and graphics card (i believe)... I spent 1500 on it... I thought it was a good deal on my half.
Getting 80% of what you paid for back after 2 years is pretty good.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I didn't realize you spent that much, but even then it's quite a good deal. It may drop further in value with Ivy Bridge depending on how Ivy Bridge looks. Like I said if you're buying the current one you're getting a quad sandy bridge which is great. You're also back on a warranty. Haswell should be a bigger change for desktops than Ivy Bridge. Anyway I would personally take the offer. It's ridiculously good, and like I said, it favors you.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
One thing I noticed is that Craigslist/eBay buyers usually aren't aware of Apple's refurbished or education site. With that said, I would most certainly take that offer!

JHorstmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks...

Thanks everyone for the input. I thought I was getting a nice deal for it, but I just always like to make sure and ask the pros ;)

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.