Opinion - iPhone 5 Unlocked Available right away?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by essential, Aug 1, 2011.

1. essential macrumors regular

I'm wondering, does everyone think Apple will make an unlocked version of the iPhone 5 available on day one, or will they put a delay on the sale of the unlocked model?

I'm selling my 4 right now for around $400, so i'm just planning to buy an unlocked 5 for $649 (i'm still under contract, still only $250 out of pocked and a higher resale value next year i'm hoping).

I'm only worried that Apple won't sell the unlocked right away. Anyone have an opinion?

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I don't see why they wouldn't sell it right away.

3. itsalexaye macrumors regular

I think they would, it will boost their sales numbers.

4. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Any country that currently sells the iPhone 4 unlocked will have the next one available for sale unlocked from day one.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No.

Like with previous releases, to cope with demand they will do the following in terms of priorities;

- Renewal of contracts
    - New customers
    - Early upgraders
    - Unlocked phones

There are hardly enough new iPhones to go around after each release, so they do have a pecking order. Whether or not it's universally followed is one thing, but that's how they are supposed to prioritize customer sales.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would assume it would be. Does anyone know what happened at previous launches in countries where the iPhone was available unlocked?

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

yes there will be.

Apple had the iPhone 4 unlocked right away.

i think Apple's deal with AT&T expired so they brought the unlocked iPhone to the market in the US. i could be wrong.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

Lol. This makes no sense at all.

Imagine a customer walking in the Apple Store who wants to purchase an iPhone. Do you really think they will tell him "Look, we've got iPhones in stock but you're not important enough, we don't want your money, we'll wait for someone else's money, good day sir."

Think again.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Wrong.

Yes like I said, you could purchase it on day one unlocked.

10. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

It's the same thing, just the Apple store will sell them unlocked on release as well as with contracts.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Were you huffing ether during previous releases? Because that's not even close to being accurate.