Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I doubt they will ever put out a 7" iPad because the normal ones are already doing good enough and so are the touches I don't think they need anything in between.

The iPod Touch sales are down 20% compared to a year ago.

aussieinjapan

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
The thing is.....

I hope that Amazon really pushes it here in Japan. i dont think that they have done enough here - they could get the whole market for ebook readers here, if they just sold the kindle in the electronic stores. They dont even really push it on amazon.co.jp !

Especially with the fire, I mean (I love Apple but..) the ipad is just too big to carry around here, I see people use them on trains and we really need a 7 inch from factor. It would really take off in Japan.

If Amazon could push the fire here in Japan then I think that it would be a winner.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I hope that Amazon really pushes it here in Japan. i dont think that they have done enough here - they could get the whole market for ebook readers here, if they just sold the kindle in the electronic stores. They dont even really push it on amazon.co.jp !

Especially with the fire, I mean (I love Apple but..) the ipad is just too big to carry around here, I see people use them on trains and we really need a 7 inch from factor. It would really take off in Japan.

If Amazon could push the fire here in Japan then I think that it would be a winner.

Sorry. I doubt there is much potential in the Japanese market for the Fire. The iPad is doing amazingly well there, and it has tremendous market penetration.

First, it has 3G. Japan is definitely not a hotspot paradise. Outside of coffee shops, it is dead. And, people spend a lot of time on trains.

Second, Amazon has got to open an electronic book store in Japan. Given the reading habits there, the ebook market is incredibly disappointing. I can't wait for it :)

Third, I wonder if it has support for Japanese input. I would hope so, but I don't know yet. Even Apple had difficulty getting Chinese support into the iPad, and we had to wait until the iOS update in fall 2010.

Fourth, people don't use Amazon so much for shopping. And, I could be wrong, but I think they don't even have an app store there...

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
You made some good points. I'm not sure we entirely disagree, but I will pick up on the characteristics of the Amazon tablet that I think disqualify it from carrying the "tablet" label.

Wow. This was a shock. Very little storage, and no access to the cloud, unless you are in a wifi environment. Take a car trip with the kids and that lack of 3G will be a big deal. This is not a device you will be depending on like you might an iPad or even an iPhone. It is purpose-built, and that purpose is entertainment in a wifi environment (usually home or within a short distance of it). I love mifi hotspots, and spent all of last year with one, but let's face it, most people don't have these devices.

The browser is cool, in theory, but useless in practice, unless you are in a wifi environment. Again, you are tied to home or your hotspots.

..There is a reason you see few Kindle books overseas. There are no books. The Fire will have a similar fate. I think Amazon knows this and is OK with it. Apple is playing a totally different game by producing a tablet for anyone, whether or not they are an Apple consumer.

As you say, I think we probably agree on more points than not and much of the discussion is simply around preferred terminology. Let me focus on where I think we differ.

I think it all comes down to how important we each deem mobile hotspots to be. I've been using the Verizon 4G/LTE hotspot from Samsung since they became available late last year. I believe in another post you'd indicated your experience was spotty with a mobile hotspot. Mine has been almost uniformly positive.

The speed is nothing short of phenomenal, rivaling my cable modem in some cases. I usually get in excess of 10mg/p/s download speeds in 4G areas (and that's most of the Puget Sound now.) That's as much as 10 times faster than 3G speeds. The speed is so good, in fact, that if I'm surfing the net on my Android smartphone I turn off 3G and use the wifi connection to my little modem. (About 1/4" thick and the size of playing card.)

Battery life isn't as good as I would get with 3G or with a 3G equipped iPad, but it works well for 4-5 hours and that's about as long as I ever need it. Otherwise, I'm usually in range of wifi or can plug in the hotspot, itself.

You're correct, of course, that hotspots are relatively rare compared to 3G equipped devices but I suspect that may change as the cost of service to each converges. I pay $50 a month for the hotspot with 5gig of downloads. That compares to $30 per month for 2 gigs for the Verizon 3G iPad. Of course, I have a two year commitment and cannot cancel and restart the service. But that's not really an option if you use cellular connections very much.

In short, I think we'll see more a decoupling of cellular provided internet service and the devices we use. Manufacturers won't have to "build in" cell radios (and certainly not different radios for different carriers.) That trend may be be accelerated, I think, by the emergence of the cloud as an alternative to local storage. I'm still a bit skeptical about that trend, but I don't think there's any doubt that it's where things are going.

As far as your comments about the international market, you're far more informed about that than I am. But while Amazon may have a US focus (with a European flavor), I suspect that media consumption devices like the Fire are at least as likely to grow in popularity in Asia, especially if it means the prices are similarly lower than for what you refer to as tablets.

aussieinjapan

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Sorry. I doubt there is much potential in the Japanese market for the Fire. The iPad is doing amazingly well there, and it has tremendous market penetration.

First, it has 3G. Japan is definitely not a hotspot paradise. Outside of coffee shops, it is dead. And, people spend a lot of time on trains.

Second, Amazon has got to open an electronic book store in Japan. Given the reading habits there, the ebook market is incredibly disappointing. I can't wait for it :)

Third, I wonder if it has support for Japanese input. I would hope so, but I don't know yet. Even Apple had difficulty getting Chinese support into the iPad, and we had to wait until the iOS update in fall 2010.

Fourth, people don't use Amazon so much for shopping. And, I could be wrong, but I think they don't even have an app store there...

Did you not read my post ??? I said the fire had a huge potential here...Ive lived in japan for 13 years (Im fluent in japanese and live the life, not some tourist visa guy) and I agree with what you are saying !! but I just wish that Amazon tried a lot harder to push the product here. The ipad is all over the place (and thats good for Apple) but there market is still up for grabs....Amazon is really big in Japan too ! Yes, they dont have an app store but they do have an MP3 store...You have to buy your kindle books from the .com store too.

People do buy things from Amazon - Amazon is very popular in Japan. Getting the fire out into the open would make it even more popular. I know a couple of people with Kindles here (and i think thats the problem - the ebook industry is made up of a lot of traditional publishing companies who arent that easy to do business here). BUT Amazon must enter this market to be successful.

Last edited:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I think if the market had considerable success with the 7" tabs (more success than 10" tabs) that were priced in the $400-$500 range, then Apple would have certainly considered it. I have always held the belief that there was a market for 7" tabs and now I believe Amazon found it.

Honestly, I can even see the merit in having both the Fire and iPad. They serve distinct enough purposes. Obviously that wouldn't be necessary for most people, but from iPhone->fire->iPad->macbook air->iMac they all have a lot of overlap, but yet they all have their own niche.

I think what Amazon has found is a price point. But that price point isn't making them money. They are hoping it's going to sell a bucket load of content for them though. And I can't see why it wouldn't. As the OP said, it's about content consumption. But we are yet to really see how well it will do that. Perhaps it will do it well enough that people will accept it. One thing though is that Amazon and Apple are in unique situations with their successful online stores to sell cheaper hardware.

I can't understand why you would want an ipad and a fire though? I can only think of the fire as a device to take to the beach. Even then, it's still 200 bucks. that's still a fair bit of money to lose if it gets stolen or broken. Personally I think the 10 inch screens have spoiled us and when you start to use a 7 inch it's going to feel a little disappointing.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

Mmm... There's a few things that complicate the matter for mine in relation to Japanese using a tablet.

1. They love their mobile phones and are quite happy to use them as their main on the go device at the moment.
2. I can't see most japanese carrying a mobile phone and a tablet (no matter the size) with them for the day.
3. Traditional book shops are still incredibly popular here in Japan.
4. The number of people reading on trains has decreased dramatically since the mobile phone became a multi functioning device that plays games, sends messages etc.
5. Using a tablet on a train if you're Japanese is considered a bit otaku still.
6. If it doesn't have 3G/4G connectivity there is no way Japanese will buy it purely as a consumption device.

I'd target the university students who often have very long commutes. IF amazon could offer a lot of their textbooks via the fire then that would dramatically decrease the weight of the students bags. this would set up a generation of users who would then see it as second nature to use a tablet on a train.

And the tablet market here is very immature so as AiJ says, it's ripe for the picking. A few stats...

Less than 10 percent of the Japanese pop have a tablet device.
Of that 10 percent, 40 percent are iPad owners.
Almost 50 percent of people don't even know what a tablet is.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
If the Kindle Fire hurts iPad sales (which I don't believe will happen), Apple could release a bigger iPod Touch with a 5.5" screen and price it at $249 with still a decent margin (though much lower rate than Apple's usual), which would be a great proposition with cameras, form factor and the Apple ecosystem behind it.

Anyway, I'm really struggling to make sense of Amazon's strategy going forward (and apparently, Wall Street is underwhelmed as well.)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Amazon's Kindle strategy is more than the Fire. There is a Kindle for everyone at any price point from $79 to $379, and the Fire is just one stop on that scale. It does stand out as the App-friendly color anomaly in that lineup, but isn't the only device making money for Amazon via Kindle. The 7" size is big enough to enjoy in nearly every way one enjoys their iPad, yet smaller (more pocketable) and lighter.

I know there are several million people out their that wish they had an iPad but will never drop $499 for one. With an easy-to-buy and well-backed alternative at less than half the price, Amazon has made a small iPad for the masses. OK, it is an Android tablet. That won't stop people from asking for "that small iPad Amazon is selling", and getting a Fire to take home.

Apple coulda....

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Finally another company sees the light..

It's not really about the hardware but the Eco system which it interfaces with.

ITUNES the free software given away by apple since 2000 or so is why appleis where it is today.

Yes they've also had the benefit of the best software, hardware, attention to detail in the design but iTunes is the masterstroke.I include the AppStore and iBooks under the iTunes umbrella..

I can see Amazon giving apple a real run for their money here.BUT only if Amazon have a good music, book and app store. Don't really know anything about Amazon but have the impression they do??

Yes google android but there is no ecosystem as such just an os intended to leverage their search business.

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Did you not read my post ??? I said the fire had a huge potential here...
Yes. I read your post. No. I do not agree that it has potential in Japan. I'll restate my points.

1. Hardware
The Fire lacks key features that I think would be necessary in the Japanese market. It doesn't have 3G. It doesn't have bluetooth. It doesn't have cameras. It doesn't have long battery life. I am not even sure it will have Japanese language support for the input (we'll have to wait and see-- the regular Kindles don't). I have argued elsewhere on the forums that the Fire is not a tablet in the conventional sense. It is a Kindle meant to leverage Amazon content. I won't rehash those arguments here. While I think there is rich potential for a small tablet in Japan (they already have them--the Galapagos, Tab, etc.), the Fire isn't one, and it is unlikely to do well.

2. Infrastructure / Content
It is totally lacking. There are no ebooks. There are no apps. There is no movie streaming. And, as I said, Amazon isn't even used much for shopping. There are lots of reasons for this, but one is that they have a strong competitor in Rakuten for things like household goods. I have never met anyone who bought an electronic device from Amazon (usually they can get it for the same price + store points if they go to Bic Camera or some other box store). As for the Kindle, not only do they not push it on the Japanese site, they take you off of it to the American site if you want to order it. They have no presence in this area. For them to attempt to leap into the market with the Fire would be a big mistake, because they have no content to leverage. There is very little potential there.

Sure, IF there were books, and IF there were movies, and IF there were apps, IF there were a lot of mifi users, and IF they could put their product into box stores I could see the Fire doing spectacularly well. But, that's not potential. That is a completely different market that only exists in our heads as dreams. I wouldn't market a product based on the conditions I wish existed.

Let's take the publishing market as an example of the barriers Amazon faces. I have published in Japan, and I even have something on the shelf at the moment in bookstores throughout the country. How did it get there? For the first time we finally exchanged proofs via email and PDFs. They only just now moved into something digital. Up until now we've relied primarily on faxes. In other cases I have helped edit materials for other volumes and we still work with handwritten comments. As far as I know, the publishers I have worked with have no plans go electronic. The only movement among publishers towards digital books has been through a tie-up between Panasonic, Sony, and Rakuten. As far as I can tell, they are muscling Amazon out of the market entirely. It is complicated by a byzantine supply chain (tiny book shops throughout the country) and involves a massive publishing industry that is heavily invested in dead tree books. I seriously doubt anything significant will happen by November (release date for Fire) on this front.

Again, I am not questioning the potential for a smaller tablet (which I don't think the Fire is). And, I am not questioning your knowledge of Japan. I am speaking as someone who has also spent his life living and working in Japan, who has followed Amazon closely ever since it started there, and who thinks Amazon (wisely) is treading carefully in this area. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Fire fits this market. Just my opinion.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I can't understand why you would want an ipad and a fire though? I can only think of the fire as a device to take to the beach. Even then, it's still 200 bucks. that's still a fair bit of money to lose if it gets stolen or broken. Personally I think the 10 inch screens have spoiled us and when you start to use a 7 inch it's going to feel a little disappointing.

IMO it's about reading. The kindle has always been about reading and with the release of the Fire, reading still remains as the primary "go-to" function.

The 7" form factor is much smaller, much lighter, and much more capable of holding in one hand. I'm not much of a reader, but I have tried it on the iPad and the interests seems like more of a novelty. It's a huge, unweildly (compared to the small books we are used to) slab. The 7" Fire will be significantly easier (and more natural) to curl up with on the couch, or in bed, or on a train, or in a hotel, or anywhere else.

All the Fire's other functions are secondary, and just there to make it a superior reading device. You can listen to some music as you read... play some light gaming between books... some light internet browsing if you get bored...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Again, I am not questioning the potential for a smaller tablet (which I don't think the Fire is). And, I am not questioning your knowledge of Japan. I am speaking as someone who has also spent his life living and working in Japan, who has followed Amazon closely ever since it started there, and who thinks Amazon (wisely) is treading carefully in this area. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Fire fits this market. Just my opinion.

As a native Japanese speaker now living in the US, I would love it if I could get Japanese books in ebook format to read on my iPad. But so far, as you say, Japanese publishers have been at best lukewarm in moving to ebooks. But the situation was very similar in the US until Amazon came up with the Kindle. Which is why I wish Amazon (or somebody else) could give the Japanese publishing industry the same kind of shove. Your reasons for why the Fire, in its current form, wouldn't do well in Japan are very well thought out and probably true. But I do hope that Amazon will eventually get all the elements together to launch a successful ebook store & device in Japan. And hopefully I'll be able to buy those ebooks with an American credit card! Well, and perhaps pigs will fly.... :eek:

The 7" form factor is much smaller, much lighter, and much more capable of holding in one hand. I'm not much of a reader, but I have tried it on the iPad and the interests seems like more of a novelty. It's a huge, unweildly (compared to the small books we are used to) slab. The 7" Fire will be significantly easier (and more natural) to curl up with on the couch, or in bed, or on a train, or in a hotel, or anywhere else.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the iPad difficult to hold for reading. I have it with me practically 24/7, reading on couch, bed, train, coffee shops, and everyhere else I go. You mention being used to small books. Maybe it's just that most of my reading materials were hardbacks or bigger-size paperbacks, but to me, the iPad is considerably lighter and easier to handle than the books I used to tote around with me back in the day. Just found it interesting that our experiences of whether books are small or larger are so different.

Last edited:

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
IMO it's about reading. The kindle has always been about reading and with the release of the Fire, reading still remains as the primary "go-to" function.

All the Fire's other functions are secondary, and just there to make it a superior reading device. You can listen to some music as you read... play some light gaming between books... some light internet browsing if you get bored...

I have a slightly different take though I agree with much of what you're saying.

Clearly the Fire is meant to be a media consumption device. But I think the expected use extends beyond reading. The form factor is designed to support viewing videos/films/TV, as well. And the sacrifice of the e-ink display is the "cost" of that expanded content.

I'm also struck by the importance Amazon attaches to their new browser. (Apologies if I'm repeating myself in this thread.) I don't think they expect a user to engage simply in "light internet browsing." The point of "Silk" is, I think, to make the web browsing experience largely indistinguishable from running a local app or reading downloaded content. If they pull this off it will be a significant achievement.

Finally, I've noticed that virtually every promotional photo of the Fire has it being held in one hand (usually by a woman.) Clearly, the Fire is limited as a content creation device but its form factor is arguably superior to the iPad as a single user media consumption device, whether that is reading, watching, or listening. And the fact that it's close to the other e-reader only Kindles in size and weight reinforces that.

I do most of my "e-reading" sitting at my desk or with my iPad on a stand that sits on my lap. But my wife loves reading in bed and for that purpose her Kindle is the go-to device.

To summarize, I think you're correct that the Fire is a sort of Super e-Reader. But its content consumption functionality extends beyond reading books and I'd argue that those features are not "secondary;" they're equally important.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
Ipad isnt a laptop replacement device either, your point?

actually ars just used the iPad for a laptop replacement, and it worked fine. Honestly, for older people (65<), younger people (<10), the iPad is better than a laptop. more intuitive, no contextual menus or right clicks or disk utilities.
iOS5 seals that deal with OTA updates and the ability to set up without a computer.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...perience-with-working-for-ars-on-the-ipad.ars

Yes, for graphic design and a slew of other professional needs, the laptop or desktop could not be replaced. But it is a great alternative for those with a desktop looking for portability.

2cents

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I'm sure the Kindle Fire will sell well but I'm so sick of seeing 1024 x 600 resolutions for every 7" tab out there. Therefore no KF for me. Not spending another dime until tablets step up their game display-wise. Next year, the displays will be better and I don't want to waste money on outdated tech.

On another note, I used a friend's nook color and I found reading on the ipad 2 to be much more comfortable. Having to hold such a small device with both hands just didn't feel quite right. Probably had something to do with the weight distribution.

Last edited:

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011

On another note, I used a friend's nook color and I found reading on the ipad 2 to be much more comfortable. Having to hold such a small device with both hands just didn't feel quite right. Probably had something to do with the weight distribution.

Haven't fooled around with the Nook Color but I'm curious as to why you found it necessary to hold it with two hands. The specs put its weight at slightly less than 16 oz. (The Fire is about an ounce less.) The reason I ask is because virtually all of the photos of the Fire show it being held in one hand, and a woman's hand at that. Just curious.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
The NC is about 1 lb. Not many people can read comfortably when holding it in one hand for an extended period of time. If you prefer to swipe, it's out of the question. Hell, people complain about reading on the ipad for an extended period using two hands and that's about 1.3 pounds. But I'm assuming that peopleIf I have to choose between two devices that weigh about the same, I'm going with the one with more real estate. Also the ipad 2 just feels better when I'm holding it.

Of course this only applies to people who will want to use it more as an ereader than a general purpose device. If all you're doing is emailing and web browsing, holding it in one hand is easy enough.

Last edited:

geekriot

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011

I agree with you. I love my iPad (and my Asus Transformer), but reading is a pain on them. That's why for long Kindle reading sessions or web browsing sessions I turn to my 7" Nook Color (CM7), and that's why I pre-ordered the Kindle.

I admit to already having a great deal invested in Amazon via Kindle, Amazon mp3 and even using their app store, so I am probably a logical target for them. As for the lack of apps, with Amazon releasing hardware that seamlessly integrates with their appstore, I don't see why developers won't also release their software via Amazon. I know they have hit some issues with developer compensation in regards to the free app of the day, and I hope they resolve those issues so devs see the Appstore as a viable portal to distribute their work.

My own personal trend is also towards the cloud. I can't remember the last time I physically bought an album, and since Amazon mp3 debuted their Cloud storage I haven't physically downloaded an album. I hope companies such as Spotify enter the Appstore as well since that streaming content is perfect for the Fire. But I do recognize that I may be in the minority when it comes to storing media on my devices. Here's hoping the Fire does well, if only so the market has a strong device at a low price.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I decided to buy the Fire to go along with my iPhone 4 and iPad 3G.

2 reasons.

Gives me an opportunity to try out an Android device, and maybe try some programming. Cheaper than buying a full sized tablet, and cheaper than buying a phone. Especially since I plan to use my next subsidy on my phone on the iPhone 6 (I try to skip generations).

Also, for reading, I can just leave it by my bed and use it to read. The iPad I carry to work leave in the living room.

doctorxring

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006
Kindle Fire

I just did my pre-order for a Kindle Fire.

My thoughts were around these points.

1) I have an iPad1 and love it

2) I have a 3rd generation Kindle reader and love it too

3) I like reading and browsing at bedtime, but find
the weight and 10 inch form factor of the iPad1
a little much. I've always thought to myself
"when Apple gets the iPadX below 1 pound, I'm in"
But I'm not about to pay $600 again for the 4 ounce
difference in the iPad2.

4) I've been extremely impressed with Amazon's
service level and product quality. I like their "system".
Like Apple, I have found that if anything, their products
are understated and perform above their hype.

5) It is highly doubtful a 7 inch iPad will be presented anytime
soon and even less likely it will be near $199. It will also
likely be a while before iPad slims to 14 ounces.

6) Although the Kindle Fire is not the powerhouse of a device
that the iPad is, I really don't need for it to be. My use
of it will be browsing the web and reading books and magazines.
It's got plenty of punch for my usage.

I really could see no reason to not get the Kindle Fire at a
price point of $199. What's the worst that could happen ?
I send it back for a refund and wait a bit longer for my niche
to be filled.

dxr

kdarling

macrumors P6
Here is why fire and droid is in general more limited than iPad: Very few tablet designed/professional apps. And fire is even more limited because it doesn't support google app store and amazon has like 100 times less apps.

To me, the number of apps has never been that important. Which ones are available, is. Everyone has their own "must have" app list :)

Note that Amazon tests all submitted apps to their store, which is important to some people. They're not just concerned with boosting the number of apps.

Remember that skype for droid is for phones only, it does not support video.

I use video Skype on my Incredible phone and HTC Flyer tablet. The Tab 10.1 and Xoom just got it too.

It hasn't been enabled for all devices yet, though.

And yeah, reading books on vertical mode is just a stupid limitation.

Vertical makes perfect sense on a 7" screen, since it's the size of a large paperback.

The Fire, I think, broadens the concept of a "tablet."

I think that ~7" devices should be called "booklets" instead. Or perhaps the unwieldy "paperback tablets", as their purpose is slightly different.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
in a 1-1.5years I see the Fire being the market leader in the tablet space. they really hit a home run with this one.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
in a 1-1.5years I see the Fire being the market leader in the tablet space. they really hit a home run with this one.
I'm not sure about this first Kindle Fire, but Fire.2 will be better and with the addition of a larger model at a bargain price Amazon's total Fire production may exceed Apple's iPad production in a year or two.

I pick "BonFire" for the name of a larger color Kindle. Then they'll need some cases made from actual kindling, and should include a box of matches with each purchase. Just a though. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.