Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
And you bring up a great point, this is why I see Apple possibly eliminating 3D Touch for the 2019 ‘iPhone 11’. Because it requires more internal space, which reduces the battery. And now that the XR has adopted the software version of 3D Touch, I think Apple might lead that way by eliminating the ‘true’ version of 3D Touch.

I pray not. Removing 3D Touch will prevent me from upgrading - the software version is terrible.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
iPhone XR is the most overrated iPhone in a whole time imo. It’s a mediocre iPhone, much worse than X which is (understandably) discontinued, but costs more SOC is a one gen newer, everything else is just plain worse. There is a cult or a circlejerk over this phone, I think people want to defend their choice and that’s the problem. Reading all the subreddits and macrumors I now just can’t stand this.

I don't know...seems like a lot of people share your opinion on the XR. I've seen plenty of disparaging comments, here and on Reddit.

That said, imo you're a little off base. The XR isn't "much worse" than the X. It's a lesser phone in one obvious way - screen tech/resolution - but it's also objectively superior in a few not-insignificant ways. You already mentioned the SOC. The battery life is stellar. The screen might not be as good, but it displays more information (as much as the Max). And the camera is considerably better too. Even though there's no telephoto lens, the XR is capable of Smart HDR (thanks to the A12), which is pretty impressive - especially in low-light situations. Most photos on the X are taken with the wide-angle lens, and that's where the XR has the advantage.

And it's cheaper relative to the price of its X-series brethren (including the X when it was a current model).

For the record, I don't have a XR so I'm not "defending my choice". I simply think it gets dumped on inordinately. You are far from alone in your opinion, but imo it's a solid phone, which I consider underrated (as I explained earlier in this thread) - thanks in part to comments like yours.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't know...seems like a lot of people share your opinion on the XR. I've seen plenty of disparaging comments, here and on Reddit.

That said, imo you're a little off base. The XR isn't "much worse" than the X. It's a lesser phone in one obvious way - screen tech/resolution - but it's also objectively superior in a few not-insignificant ways. You already mentioned the SOC. The battery life is stellar. The screen might not be as good, but it displays more information (as much as the Max). And the camera is considerably better too. Even though there's no telephoto lens, the XR is capable of Smart HDR (thanks to the A12), which is pretty impressive - especially in low-light situations. Most photos on the X are taken with the wide-angle lens, and that's where the XR has the advantage.

And it's cheaper relative to the price of its X-series brethren (including the X when it was a current model).

For the record, I don't have a XR so I'm not "defending my choice". I simply think it gets dumped on inordinately. You are far from alone in your opinion, but imo it's a solid phone, which I consider underrated (as I explained earlier in this thread) - thanks in part to comments like yours.
I have the XR as of this week, in addition to the max. People can think what they want, it's a good phone at a good price if you can get your nose out of the tech stratosphere. It's does what it should be doing at the right price point. The LCD for what it is very good.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
And you bring up a great point, this is why I see Apple possibly eliminating 3D Touch for the 2019 ‘iPhone 11’. Because it requires more internal space, which reduces the battery. And now that the XR has adopted the software version of 3D Touch, I think Apple might lead that way by eliminating the ‘true’ version of 3D Touch.

Thanks! And hopefully also this will see a price reduction with the XR series OLED phones - Apple won't need the touch layer now, so the screen should be easier to make i.e. Apple should be able to source this from suppliers other than Samsung (and repairs & Applecare+) should be cheaper, too.
[doublepost=1554566580][/doublepost]

Thanks! And hopefully also this will see a price reduction with the XR series OLED phones - Apple won't need the touch layer now, so the screen should be easier to make i.e. Apple should be able to source this from suppliers other than Samsung (and repairs & Applecare+) should be cheaper, too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I pray not. Removing 3D Touch will prevent me from upgrading - the software version is terrible.

I’m not sure if I will upgrade to the iPhone 11 this year or not. I’m fairly content with everything that iPhone has to offer now, unless the triple lens camera proves to be truly astonishing, then I likely won’t upgrade this year.

The only reason I could see Apple removing 3D Touch, is I think the majority of iPhone users really have no concept of how to fully utilize 3D Touch or even really what it is. That’s unfortunate, because it really is a great feature to have, and it even improved more once third-party developers started creating access to 3D Touch. To me, I think if Apple removes 3D Touch and retains the same price point of their smart phones currently, this will be a very controversial move.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The 8/8Plus is underrated for another reason: It's the last TouchID iPhone.

People like myself who love TouchID and aren't ready to move to FaceID are a perfect fit with the 8 series.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus; if Apple had released an "iPhone 9" series with Touch ID and the same CPU and cameras as the XS, I would have probably bought it. I just like TouchID and my perfectly rectangular, non-notch screen too much.

Reactions: rui no onna

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
iPhone 7 is underrated for me. It's beautifully designed, the aluminum is very durable, no physical home button and it's still superfast. The iPhone 8 is also nice but the glass back is less durable and it's significantly heavier.

Reactions: rui no onna

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
How is the Xs overrated when it got lukewarm reception in the first place?

Anyway, I think the iPhone 7 plus is the most underrated. It has most of the features of today's phones, and still runs very well on iOS 12. I switched to the Xs, but my old 7 Plus still felt like new for the few months I used it.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
What I want, is an 8 plus, smaller bezels and X gestures and future speed/battery capability. I tried the X and X MAX and the left to right squeezed display really annoyed me in the end.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Underrated: 7(+), 8(+)
People just aren't used to Apple keeping the same iPhone design for 4 generations so these two (or four if counting the + separately) got lambasted for that. Carriers were practically giving away the iPhone 7 ($650 credit with iPhone 6 trade-in) and I still remember watching the morning news and seeing absolutely no lines for the iPhone 8 launch. :p

Overrated: X
Major, major buzz. Heck, I've seen several Android phones copy the notch design aesthetic a few months later. :rolleyes:

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Those slating the XR for the screen.

If you weren’t told it was LCD, you probably wouldn’t even realise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.