opinion of a switcher on mac osx

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bowlesbe, May 23, 2009.

1. bowlesbe macrumors newbie

I'm what one would call a hard-core switcher. I didnt switch because I didn't like windows (rather I very much like windows), mainly because a) mac osx had some applications I really wanted (and were obviously way more innovative their windows equivalents), and b) I'm really a bit of a computer junkie when it comes down to it.

I got a new macbook pro (unibody) and have spent a long time figuring out how to do everything I used to do on windows on my mac. I have downloaded, and am using the programs I wanted to try. And these programs are highly innovative, enough so to warrant buying the mac simply for that reason, so overall, Im still really happy with the purchase. And quite frankly, its the prettiest computer I've ever owned.

But heres what I find: it's just slower. Perhaps not for all operations, but for operations I depend on for work purposes, its like a third as fast, a) opening office documents (I've tried several office packages), b) using matlab, c) switching between many applications at once to get a task completed, d) opening applications and documents in general, e) memory things that cause the pinwheel to make me take a 5 second break quite often. f) despite what apple had me believing, programs don't just always work. In fact, my experience is that they dysfunction more often than windows ones and need to be forced quit!

These things just make it impossible to get things done. Am I missing out here somehow or missing something huge? On my PC, I almost never have to wait for anything. Despite the myth of windows getting sluggish, or that has issues, my windows XP system (which has far few components than my new macbook pro), does things more or less instaneously and has not gotten slower over time. In windows I have control over what services and processes it runs so the system doesnt get bogged down by things I don't use, making an overall more responsive system. My mac osx system commonly feels like its trying to do everything at once and struggles to get through some of the most basic tasks.

Perhaps anyone else has a common experience? MY hope is really that snow leopard makes the system overall more pleasant to use.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My money is on the hard drive.

Moving from 7200 RPM to 5400 RPM is noticeable.

3. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yeah, I've considered upgrading... I've been holding out for the 750GB model supposed to be released later in the year...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hm, I don't have many lag issues, and I'm on a 2006 Merom MBP. How much RAM do you have?

5. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

2GB- I have a 4GB upgrade in the mail. Even so, I mean, I typically have twice as many apps running at the same time on my pc, ... but ill try anything i guess!

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Microsoft Programs for Mac (like Microsoft Word) take forever but that is more the fault of Microsoft than mac. For me, if I am running any Microsoft Office Program, the computer slows down a noticeable amount, but when I quit out of them, it comes back up to speed. It might be that the programs you are running were originally designed for Windows and were patched to work with mac, which could account for them taking a long time. I switched to mac and for me it was much faster, but there are a lot of factors.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it could be that you got a bad machine. you said that it is running some apps at 1/3 the speed. that sounds pretty bad. i did notice a significant jump in speed with the RAM and HDD upgrades that i made but i wouldnt say that the computer was slow before i made them.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have had 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB drive for ages.

It's the hard drive. It's not a "bad" machine either. Where do these ideas come from?

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well look at you:rolleyes:. do you really think that a faster HDD is going to speed up his machine by 66%?! you might be right that all he needs is a faster HDD and he did say only some operations were effected. and i was just making an observation based on my experience. my stock MBP ran way faster than any PC i used so it is a little odd to me that his is running so much slower. so get off your high horse and learn not to comment negatively about other people's posts that have nothing to do with you.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That list of applications are nonetheless going to be dependent on the main bottleneck which is the hard drive.

I've heard plenty of times to get more RAM or your Mac must be defect. It's getting old when it's a notebook with less dense platters at a slower rotational speed.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

I don't really see how that's classified as a "hard-core" switcher.

12. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

ha ha, perhaps not, perhaps its a ridiculous term. I think I just wanted to clarify most of all that I am not someone who isn't familiar with both OS"s now, and not someone who didnt just try it for a week and get frustrated, etc!

Yes, I think this is the most likely source of my issues. Programs that were clearly designed for macs in the first place do not cause any problems. It just so happen that most of the programs I use most for work purposes (microsoft, matlab, etc) are ones that were not really designed with osx in mind from the bottom up. Its ok, I mean, I'll just try to use osx for the applications that it has that i love, and stick to my pc for what i need to. Its seems a bit disjointed, but thats life right?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Microsoft Office and MATLAB, among many other programs, have picked up a menagerie of libraries over the years. With some luck you can disable the loading of these in preferences.

It's a world of a difference loading up applications on my "slower" iMac when compared to my "faster" MacBook.

Take a look at how fast iLife applications load. Bloat!

14. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

ha ha 1/3 was perhaps an exaggeration overall. But it actually isnt for somethings, in particular opening applications like office, etc. And I also find it not to be an exageration when switching between several intensive applications. But for simple somethings, like internet, low resource applications, its probably an exaggeration. I have looked into testing it to see if there is an actual issue with the machine. I need to do more research on this. The fact that it generally works (albeit with issues as I'm mentioning according to me) suggests to me that the machine itself is fully operational. I cannot wait for HDD and RAM upgrades.

15. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

If they need to be forced quit quite often, then I would have to agree that something other than simple hard drive speed is causing the problem, although the hard drive could be exacerbating the problem. I rarely have to force quit a program on mac, and even if the drive is a little slower, it should just take a little longer not freeze up completely. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this is a normal thing for all those users who have a 5400 rpm hard drive. I would take it to an Apple Store genius bar appointment if I were you.

16. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good advice. I'll look into it. I purchased Xslimmer but actually it didnt take me as far as I was hoping.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Safari and FireFox are the biggest culprits in my case. Safari 4 Beta at least has the grace of quitting without sending an error report now instead of locking a machine.

iTunes comes as a close second and it's worse under Tiger.

That's not really going to help. You're still going to load up the masses of Intel libraries instead of PowerPC ones. You're just freeing up drive space.

18. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

That it's probably worth doing regardless, just to make sure. My brother who has had a mac for a long time said he was observing peculiar behavior on my computer. At the same time, I'm the type of person who likes to have a lot of things open (and my preferences pane is pretty big, althogh I have most of the ones I downloaded disabled). For apps, I mean, I wouldnt say they crash a lot, just that it has actually happened more than on my PC (but all things considered is not a lot in the first place). It could also reflect a higher amount of experience with the PC in some way.

19. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

But still a lot of Force Quitting would signal something could be wrong with the computer, right? Although I do have to agree with you on your statement (Safari is #1 for me, iDVD is #2).

20. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

I've sort of been told that this is worse of two evils. Heres another thing though. On my PC, I can have tons of tabs with no issues... (Along with matlab, lightroom, many other complex programs open) to no ill effect...

I do think part of it may have to do with the hard drive difference though. My PC harddrive is very fast, which can make a significant differnces as was said.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It might be time to read the logs and now more about what applications.

22. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

What is the rpm of your PC's hard drive 7200 or 10000? If it is 10,000 then that might make sense that there is a difference in performance from what you are used to.

23. bowlesbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Its 7200, but a velociraptor. In effect, I dont think this can be the full explanation because even my original harddrive (7200, but not quite as fancy), the same pattern was still there.

24. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I have to agree, you should see some difference, but not like that huge. Interesting I had a similar problem on an iMac, which Apple ended up replacing. I'm not that tech savy, but they said something about the Bus Speeds were not right revealing some problem that would require a complete computer replacement. I was happy, I got a new computer, but it was a pain to actually prove my computer was running really slow. However, that may have nothing to do with this, just my two cents.

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Velociraptor is 10,000 RPM.