Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Comparing today my new ipad 12.9 and apple pencil to other drawing tablets I have
used. I love every thing about the apple except the feel of the pencil on the ipad
glass. Too slippery and 'skatey'. I tried the icarez matte screen protector and found
it made little difference.

Anyone share this opinion? Will apple ever make a softer nib option.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I doubt Apple will ever offer a different version of the nib — it’s just not their style to offer “choices” in something like this. I’m a little surprised that there hasn’t been a swarm of third-party options to swap in different nibs though.

Reactions: Cape Dave

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i don't personally have an issue with the tip but I still agree that it would be nice of Apple would offer some choices or allow someone else to officially do so.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Have you tried licking the nib like we used to do in the old days (with real pens and pencils)

Ps... lucky I caught autocorrect

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
What are the chances a new Pencil 2 will have softer nibs?

If Apple is courting Pros users, they might actually listen and make a soft-nib Pencil that works only with newer iPad Pros.
The current Pencil would be for the masses and work with the non-Pro devices.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The drawing on glass feeling is still noticeable, but even on the iPad the tip still feels better than the original iPP to me. I am slightly surprised that Apple hasn’t released different nibs. I have never used other styluses, but I think this was a missed opportunity on Apple’s part.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
It doesn't bother me for art and sketching. I like it less for handwriting than a Surface Pro, which has
a nice drag feel. I was really disappointed by Icarez, which is well reviewed but I found made the feel
worse. Different strokes....

Reactions: macintoshmac

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Does the Apple Pencil have to feel like graphite on paper? Whats so good about graphite on paper feel?
It doesn't feel like anything on paper--rather just plastic on glass. Surface and Cintiq have a spring in the tip
that simulates pushing the point into paper. Surface has a slightly rubbery tip that creates the feel
of drag that-while not really paper-like--gives more control. Wacom tries to do the same by using
an acid wash to create a grain in the glass. I think the new cintiq pro tablets feel the best, but they
have other issues that make them unattractive to me. All are very usable.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It doesn't feel like anything on paper--rather just plastic on glass. Surface and Cintiq have a spring in the tip
that simulates pushing the point into paper. Surface has a slightly rubbery tip that creates the feel
of drag that-while not really paper-like--gives more control. Wacom tries to do the same by using
an acid wash to create a grain in the glass. I think the new cintiq pro tablets feel the best, but they
have other issues that make them unattractive to me. All are very usable.

What makes the new Cintiq pros unattractive to you? I’m thinking about getting the 24”.

One thing I heard helps with the matte screen protector film, is to wipe it down before/after use. Once finger oils get on there, it actually makes it more slippery than the factory glass. I don’t have one installed anymore so I can’t test this, but I seem to recall the film helping with drag in the beginning, then steadily getting worse, so it sounds true to me.

I’m also surprised and disappointed no third party has made alternative nibs.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
What makes the new Cintiq pros unattractive to you? I’m thinking about getting the 24”.

One thing I heard helps with the matte screen protector film, is to wipe it down before/after use. Once finger oils get on there, it actually makes it more slippery than the factory glass. I don’t have one installed anymore so I can’t test this, but I seem to recall the film helping with drag in the beginning, then steadily getting worse, so it sounds true to me.

I’m also surprised and disappointed no third party has made alternative nibs.

I have a number of issues with the cintiq pros, most specific to my situation as a windows user. I wanted the
15.6" cintiq pro, but to run it at 4k would mean I would have to replace my current monitor. Windows does
not do multiple resolutions like the Mac. In terms of the 24", I hated the bulky form factor adopted to house
the Wacom Engine. The 13" and 16" are so clean and lean! Otherwise, while $2,000 is pricey (wo touch), its not
outrageous. So I feel it is an ok value. Again, I love the pen and the etched glass surface. Good luck!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have a number of issues with the cintiq pros, most specific to my situation as a windows user. I wanted the
15.6" cintiq pro, but to run it at 4k would mean I would have to replace my current monitor. Windows does
not do multiple resolutions like the Mac. In terms of the 24", I hated the bulky form factor adopted to house
the Wacom Engine. The 13" and 16" are so clean and lean! Otherwise, while $2,000 is pricey (wo touch), its not
outrageous. So I feel it is an ok value. Again, I love the pen and the etched glass surface. Good luck!

Ah, I guess as a Mac user I’m fortunate. That would be a frustrating problem to run into. The extra bulk on the 24” is unfortunate for people who don’t use the engine but since it’s on a desk I don’t think I’ll mind too much. I haven’t gotten a chance to actually see a 24” in person though. It seems like no one has any on display for some reason.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've been using Apple Pencil for a couple years now, and have gotten used to the slipperyness to the point where writing with a pencil or pen on paper is now starting to feel weird!

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
I put a silicone tip cover on my Apple Pencil and just write with it. It no longer feels slippery and the silicone tip cover helps eliminate the sound of the pen when it strikes against the glass. I use a glass screen protector instead of matte so I can keep the bright colours, and I also heard matte screen protector eventually ruins the nib as it has a lot of friction.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I put a silicone tip cover on my Apple Pencil and just write with it. It no longer feels slippery and the silicone tip cover helps eliminate the sound of the pen when it strikes against the glass. I use a glass screen protector instead of matte so I can keep the bright colours, and I also heard matte screen protector eventually ruins the nib as it has a lot of friction.

Not worried about wearing out the nib as they’re easily/cheaply replaceable. But that’s interesting, I didn’t know that product existed. Does it interfere at all with the pressure sensitivity or tilt functions? I’d be reluctant to use it though since it would make the tip even more blunt and I already think the pencil tip is too blunt.

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
Not worried about wearing out the nib as they’re easily/cheaply replaceable. But that’s interesting, I didn’t know that product existed. Does it interfere at all with the pressure sensitivity or tilt functions? I’d be reluctant to use it though since it would make the tip even more blunt and I already think the pencil tip is too blunt.

I bought the silicone nib cover mainly to protect my Apple Pencil in case it fell. I decided to use it for writing as well when I read some tips on Reddit. I needed to write silently because I wanted to use my iPad to study in the library. The slippage (between the nib and the glass screen) also hurt my wrist joint, since I used my iPad to write notes for long periods of time. I did not want to use matte screen protector because I wanted to preserve the colours (for reading notes, diagrams etc).

I bought FRTMA for Apple Pencil 4-piece set which included the silicone nib cover. The nib cover provides good friction (saves my wrist from carpal tunnel) and completely eliminates the striking noise.

The Apple Pencil tip is more blunt, but I don't mind that. I don't use my iPad for drawing though, so I don't know how it works if you draw. I do write my notes in Notability and Good Notes (up to 10 hrs straight almost every day). In Notability, you can select different line thickness and pressure which allows me to write with precision. If I want to write using thinner lines while using the nib cover, I just choose the option with smaller line thickness in Notability (smaller than the one I normally use without the cover).

Last edited:
Reactions: subjonas

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I bought the silicone nib cover mainly to protect my Apple Pencil in case it fell. I decided to use it for writing as well when I read some tips on Reddit. I needed to write silently because I wanted to use my iPad to study in the library. The slippage (between the nib and the glass screen) also hurt my wrist joint, since I used my iPad to write notes for long periods of time. I did not want to use matte screen protector because I wanted to preserve the colours (for reading notes, diagrams etc).

I bought FRTMA for Apple Pencil 4-piece set which included the silicone nib cover. The nib cover provides good friction (saves my wrist from carpal tunnel) and completely eliminates the striking noise.

The Apple Pencil tip is more blunt, but I don't mind that. I don't use my iPad for drawing though, so I don't know how it works if you draw. I do write my notes in Notability and Good Notes (up to 10 hrs straight almost every day). In Notability, you can select different line thickness and pressure which allows me to write with precision. If I want to write using thinner lines while using the nib cover, I just choose the option with smaller line thickness in Notability (smaller than the one I normally use without the cover).

I used to put a piece of paper tape on my Adonit styli before the Apple Pencil I wonder if I could to the same with the Apple Pencil?

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
I used to put a piece of paper tape on my Adonit styli before the Apple Pencil I wonder if I could to the same with the Apple Pencil?
I think it's possible, since I've heard of some people doing that to get more friction. I've never tried it though. It's also likely that if you use a paper tape, the tapping sound will still be loud.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I think it's possible, since I've heard of some people doing that to get more friction. I've never tried it though. It's also likely that if you use a paper tape, the tapping sound will still be loud.
Ok just tried paper tape. It works well. Slight drag and definitely makes the writing much quieter. I’m going leave it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.