Opinion on buying a used MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Slovak, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Slovak macrumors regular

I have an opportunity to buy a 15-month old MBP (model MA609LL) with 2.16GHz processor and updated with 2 GB of RAM.

I prefer the larger screen and the aluminum body and have no plans for gaming or heavy video processing power.

Considering today's announcements and the fact that this one is out of warranty, is it worth the $1,100 the buyer is asking?

2. eninety88 macrumors newbie

probably not, seeing as you'll probably see the refurbs go down to $1500. If you can spend the extra $400 it would be worth it and more future proof. if you cant then $1100 is not bad especially if you need the screen. You can consider a macbook then buy a separate monitor too for $1100...

3. davisac macrumors member

before the store went down i saw they lowered the price on a 2.4MBP to $1350

EDIT: refurbished MBP

4. Slovak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input

Just got back in the online store. Refurb for $1,350 it is.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, that's a good deal - and you get a one year warranty with it!

6. Slovak thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I figured. Warranty, option to buy Apple Care at a later date, etc. And the 'old' MBP is really not that bad for what I need, so I'd rather save the $650 and do without the new features.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

hmmm...

I'm getting ready to buy an identical system off of craigslist for $900.00, and it comes with Applecare until September 2009. Whaddya think?

8. Slovak thread starter macrumors regular

Call me crazy, but aside from the video card update and increased specs, the internals of the MBP haven't changed significantly for a casual end-user needs. the 'old' MBP is still a nice workhorse.

I'd probably for the $900.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Thanks, I think so too. I'm just going to make sure that it is a C2D and not an original Core Duo. Too little memory max, parallels runs too slow on the original.