iPad Opinion on buying an ipad 4 now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lokster, Oct 8, 2013.

  1. lokster macrumors 6502

    lokster

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    #1
    I know its just 2 weeks until the ipad 5 comes out

    but my friend who bought an ipad 4 32gb black last week as a gift for someone is selling hers for $480 which is still unopened and in its shrink wrap which is technically brand new.

    should i go for it? she says the store told her its still on iOS6 not sure which version im betting its 6.1.3

    a few points on why i want to buy it

    1. i hate iOS7, right now im just not feeling the design.
    2. i want to jailbreak, i heard theres a jailbreak coming up for iOS6 i like customizing and theming,
    3. its technically $120 off the shelf price and tax free, so its a pretty big discount.


    id like opinions from fellow ipad users :cool:
     
  2. Baklava macrumors 6502a

    Baklava

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #2
    I would def. wait for the 5th Gen. just because of the redesign and faster processor.

    To 1. Somewhen you will HAVE to move to iOS7. (Update support, etc.)
    To 2. JB will be out soon. The JB community will also update their apps on Cydia.
     
  3. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

    oldhifi

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    USA
  4. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    #4
    So you would spend $499 on a refurb when a brand new one is $480?
     
  5. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2013
    Location:
    Morrisville NC
    #5

    Baklava is right, at some point you will have to update to continue to receive updates and support for apps. Also, while the price now is good, do you think you could get a better price once it comes out?

    The reason I ask is there are always those who say, I'm not going to upgrade. I'm perfectly happy with mine. Then once the new shiny toy comes out they want it so bad they can't stand it. They rush out to get it and now want to get rid of the older one.

    Maybe you get a better deal, maybe not. But I'd be willing to bet an extra $100-$200 off that price might make waiting worth it.
     
  6. braddick macrumors 68040

    braddick

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2009
    Location:
    Encinitas, CA
    #6
    That's a terrific price on a wonderful machine.

    Personally if I was in the market for a new iPad I'd go for it.
     
  7. Max(IT) Suspended

    Max(IT)

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Location:
    Italy
    #7
    iPad 5 could be (but we are not sure) a big leap, with its new form factor , 64-bit and 2 Gb of ram (rumored) ....

    iPad 4 is a very good product, but you have to make a big deal to take the risk, so I'll try to lower a little bit the price (430-450 $)
     
  8. MauerFan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2012
    #8
    Awesome price, and if you want it and don't care about the updates that iPad 5 will bring then go for it!
     
  9. twobert macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    #9
    There are some great deals to be had if you're not too worried about whatever updates there might be in the iPad 5. The 4th generation seems plenty capable, and I was able to find one in like new condition for $340, which is a substantial savings considering a new iPad is $500+ tax and Apple's refurbished price starts at $419.

    I mean, at worst you have a capable tablet for one year and then you upgrade. I think people often lose perspective when it comes to Apple products; there's literally a new thing every year. Missing out on a year isn't the worst thing ever.
     
  10. kaylerrific macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2012
    #10
    The discount is nice, but why not just wait and see what goodies Apple comes out with? I love my 4, but if I were in your shoes I'd totally wait!
     
  11. Macalway, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

    Macalway macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2013
  12. srsub3 macrumors 6502

    srsub3

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    I'll go for it and avoid 1st day problems for getting a 5.
     
  13. tann macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Location:
    Nottingham, England
    #13
    People haven't mentioned this but there is a possibility that Apple will move 32gb to the base model. No rumors yet support OR deny this however if that did happen then for only $20+tax you could have got a brand new, probably much faster, lightweight and thinner iPad 5.

    I personally would take that risk and wait another 10 days for the new ones to be announced. Even if they start at 16gb again you can always pick up a 4th gen then for a lot less anyway since the new ones will be coming.
     
  14. Altis macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    #14
    Sure the 5th gen may be better but it will cost a lot more.

    And sure at some point, OP may find benefit to iOS 7... but right now? All the bugs? iOS 7 doesn't even seem designed for iPads... 3x3 folders.. cough..


    I'd say go for it, maybe try to get down a little on price given the new ones are right around the corner. In any case, iOS 6 and a decent price for a new device... sounds good to me! :D
     
  15. Internaut macrumors 6502a

    #15
    It's less than ten day's to Apple's announcement. Now is most definitely a good time to wait!
     
  16. Baklava macrumors 6502a

    Baklava

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #16
    A lot more? Are you serious with that?
     
  17. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #17
    Brand new, great price, great device... I'd say it's a go!

    I bought my 64GB iPad4 5 months ago knowing that a new iPad would be coming out now. My plan was to get the last device that would be pre-iOS7 that would last for a few years. I'm pleased with my decision even if the iPad5 came equipped with a glasses-free 3D screen. :D
     
  18. KdParker macrumors 601

    KdParker

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2010
    Location:
    Everywhere
    #18
    So you plan to stay on iOS6 forever?

    Never upgrade?
     
  19. Altis macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    #19
    Well, $480 new tax included if used for BNIB. $600 plus whatever tax for the new model, figuring that the price will stay the same for 5th generation.

    Depending on tax, I figure thats $120 + tax on the $600... so probably $150-$200 more than the one he's considering.

    200/480 * 100 = 41.6% more. I'd say that's considerable.

    If OP lives outside US, difference may be greater... and I suggested to try to get it at a bit lower given the new release imminent.

    Why is it all or nothing around here? Why can't someone just wait a few months for things to be worked out first? ;)

    Nothing wrong with iOS 6 anyways, at the moment.
     
  20. stevod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    Location:
    London
    #20
    I'd wait for the new one. It'll be smaller, faster, probably lighter... and you'll be happier, longer. More expensive, yes, but you'll have the current version. You might be able to unlock the new one with your toes, too.

    S
     
  21. iPod912 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    #21
    Me personally, I'd wait for the new one. If money is an issue though, go for the 4.
     
  22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

    s2mikey

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2013
    Location:
    Upstate, NY
    #22
    Nothing wrong with the iPad 4 but I do have to admit that the specs of the iPad 5 are starting to warm me up to it versus a 4. My plan was to get a smoking deal on a refurbed 4th gen and be good with that for a while.

    But, damn.... The specs of the newest unit are just so enticing.

    Still nothing wrong with the 4, it'll be a solid tablet for a while and still has pretty strong hardware.
     
  23. Macalway macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2013
  24. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

    ScottNWDW

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #24
    If you need it now then buy it now. The iPad 4 will last you a few years, unless you are one of those that absolutely has to have the latest and greatest. If you can wait a few weeks then wait and get the iPad 5.

    I got my iPad 4 in August knowing fully that a new iPad was coming possibly as early as September. I do not in any way regret the decision to buy when I did. I needed to get a new iPad at that time and did not want to wait around what was likely a few months. As of right now the iPad 4 is the latest and greatest. in a few weeks that will be different. With that said that doesn't mean that on the day the iPad 5 gets released the iPad 4 will cease to operate. It will still last several years.

    My partner still uses my old first generation iPad which I bought on the day that the iPad was originally released. Sure it won't work with iOS 7, but for what his needs are it is working just fine. Now he may choose to get an iPad 5 or a new mini, but that is his decision. I also know people that are still using the iPad 2, which by the way Apple is still selling, even after the iPad 3 and 4 were both released. At my job we are using iPad 2, 3 and 4's and they all work great. You can't even tell which is which unless you you look at the charger port, and even then you will only know that it would be a 4 or not.

    When it comes to tech products people need to grow up and realize that a newer version is always around the corner and that it is OK to skip a version or two. I will keep my iPad 4 around until it either stops working or it can no longer perform the tasks that I need it to do.
     

Share This Page