opinion on "choppy" transition.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SpitzerCR, May 22, 2009.

1. SpitzerCR macrumors regular

example.

(angle 1 )Car rolls through gate (gated community)

( angle 2)Rolls through lot

(Angle 3)turns and rolls into parking

Is there a rule on angles to make the video look more progressive and not like choppy from angle to angle??

Hope this makes sense.

THANK YOU very much in advance.

2. memeboy macrumors newbie

memeboy

thoughts

Consider cutting the entire scene out of the script. It doesn't advance the plot. Failing that, just have an establishing shot that shows the gated community entrance and the character. You don't need to show people driving and parking.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Basically, when you set up your shots, you want to try your best to match action and avoid "crossing the line" of action (i.e. keeping the camera position within a 180° field) when doing multiple angles of view. A good explanation of it is here.

This will help a lot when trying to maintain smooth edits from angle to angle.

I don't know how you can make such assumption without knowledge of the script he's actually shooting.

4. SpitzerCR thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the link....

Actually I JUST moved to LA for atleast the summer.

I did a timeline of shots through different states, and we are trying to "show" where we live.

I didnt want it to be like oh hey here is our gate and our multi level parking garage, and the million doors we go through blah blah.. its a real simple slightly sped up walk through. and quick view of the APT and plopping down on the bed after my long trip.

Just something for my friends.

Trying to make it "flowing" for im speeding up the time alittle so it doesnt drag on but they still see everything.

Thanks again for the help...

5. cpcarrot macrumors member

The key (in my opinion) in respect of cutting shots like this is to follow your audiences eyes. Ask what they are looking at and then make sure your cuts don't cause that to jump around, as thats what will create the impression of choppyness. So in this case I would imagine that the object the audience will focus on is the car, so when you cut, if the car is in the centre of the screen in the 1st shot you need it to be in the centre of the screen in the second, likewise if it is on the right it needs to be on the right when you switch to the second shot. It's the act of having to readjust to find the "point of interest" on the other side of the screen that can make the cutting seem "choppy"

The second factor has already been mentioned and that is to avoid "crossing the line" and I think the link provided provides a good explanation as to that - although as it's already been shot you may be limited in how you can correct it (you can simply reverse / mirror a shot in some circumstances but often the best way is just to remove that shot entirely and just use the two shots that work).

Hope that helps.

6. SpitzerCR thread starter macrumors regular

totally understand, but causes another question.

If car is moving from right to left and turning a corner.. the next shot if centering the car and not crossing the line would put the car at an angle.

Does this mean

A. put camera somewhere else to change angle of car

B. another idea ??

So car centered traveling straight across

cut

car center at 45 angle...

7. cpcarrot macrumors member

What are you shooting on, and what's your end deliverable? If like most people today your shooting HD with a SD deliverable at the end, one trick you can employ is the old post production zoom and reframe.

Otherwise yes it's down to planning your camera angles somewhat - and this is where storyboarding comes in. If your initial shot is planning to end with the car in the centre of the screen then ideally you want the next shot where the car turns to start with the car traveling straight and with the car centre frame.

Another idea is the old trick of cutting to the corner of the room. Keep the noise of the car going then cut to a "scenic" shot (the surrounding area, something to show where you are), let the noise of the car create the impression the car is turning (and you can match this with the scenic shot being a suitable pan i.e. if car turning to right pan would be left to right to simulate the view from the car) THEN you cut to the car turning the corner already at 45 degrees.

Basically there are plenty of solutions, it's just a case of finding what works best for your footage.