Opinion on rmbp KB/palm cover issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farsear, Oct 17, 2012.

1. farsear, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

farsear macrumors newbie

Here is sth a little nerdic.

The mostly concerned point here is whether KB/palm cover can damage the fragile retina sceen.
    Firstly:What damages your precious screen is the PRESSURE on it (Scratch by keyboard? Come on, once there is a scratch by keyboard, better exam first whether the LCD got damaged by pressure, the white mark)

Palm cover: Notice the fact that there is a circle of rubber around the LCD. Applying some "regular" form of palm rest (like the palmguard of moshi, what i got), this rubber circle will just touch the palm cover. Then in fact, the distance from screen and palm position has not changed. As result, no worry. However, if u cast some "exotique" form(mostly for deco), since that circle will probably touch directly the real alu of palm position, these kinds of palm cover could do some damage to the screen as the gap decreased - contact - pressure - damage. From my comprehension, that s the point of apple.

KB cover: This is another deal, no matter how the producers claim their kb cover is "ultra thin", its thickness is ENOUGH to touch the screen. Then the problem becomes when closed with kb cover, how much pressure there is on the screen. Normally, kb cover is made from very soft polymer, ex:that of moshi is thermoplastic polyurethane. What's this? Ehn....main products of DUREX:D are made from TPU. So, we can say very soft. (Screen scratched by material made of condom? must be kidding) From my instinct, this kind of kb cover should be fine. The pressure casted on the screen depends on the vertical deformation of the material when closing the lap. Anyone can give me some info on how much pressure can the LCD panel stand, i d be glad to make make estimation how much pressure there really exists.

Anyway, if u put nothing between screen/kb, u r always safe:rolleyes:.
    PS: I do not think a piece of cloth between them will help, since it indeed increased the pressure on the screen (sincierely, i do not consider scratch is a problem when close the laptop)

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Keyboard covers to me seem a waste and uncomfortable... Palm rest covers on the other hand are welcome. My palms sweat quite a lot, as a result, I had quite a few laptops with ugly "burn marks" on the palm rest region ( cause by continuous usage and sweating of course... no matter if I was cleaning the area often ).

I'm ( and will be in the future too ) using Moshi PalmGuard for the palm rest area.
    The texture of it is quite nice and the color is close enough to the case color.

3. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

I think that one possible problem with adding these layers between the palm rest area and/or the keyboard and the screen is that these materials are a lot more likely to get dirt stuck in them. And dirt could scratch the screen.

I use a soft polymer keyboard cover on my rMPB and I did not notice any signs that it is touching the screen. I'm keeping it on for now.

My 2 cents! ;)

4. farsear thread starter macrumors newbie

May i ask which one?;)

5. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

This one. Good price, huh? ;)