Opinion on Seagate Hybrid XT 750

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benzfanatic, Jan 30, 2013.

1. benzfanatic macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 MBP , non retina, I am concidering upgrading my current 750 5400rpm drive to this Seagate HDD,
    Ayone have any issues i should know about before buying ,
    I have read mixed reviews, But mainly positive.
    I need the large storage this is my reason to consider this hybrid drive over a SSD.
    Thanks in advance

2. robo74 macrumors 6502

I have a latest cMBP that I recently purchased. I bought the same drive, installed it, clean install of the OS and I am really impressed. Start up times are very very good compared to the stock drive and applications open very quickly. Had it running almost a week and no issues to date. I seen more positives then negatives when I was reading about it. $130 well spent in my opinion.

Rob

3. benzfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

How would i go about doing a clean install, please excuse the newbie question

4. robvas macrumors 68020

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I have the 500 GB version, which has less flash memory and is supposedly slower than the 750. While I'd still love to upgrade to a SSD some day (maybe when the 512 GB models are under $200...), the hybrid drive speeds up tasks that you do often.

Just as an example, I'll switch between using Safari and Chrome as my web browser, using one for months at a time before hopping back over. Whenever I make that transition, I notice that the browser takes a bit longer to load and occasionally experiences a slight freeze on certain webpages while loading components. Once I've used it for a bit longer all of those issues disappear, and the other, unused browser develops them. That's the flash memory in effect.

A SSD would offer faster performance all-around, but the hybrid drives give you a nice little boost.