Opinion Poll of 2014 Mac Mini Configurations

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Crosscreek, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

So just for fun time wasting waiting on Thursday Event Poll.

Please state your case.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

This is almost as exciting as the other poll that you opened.
    When will you do that? (make a poll, that is... :D )

3. Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Awshucks. :eek:

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

It's all got terribly confusing.

I'm going for current case / Haswell with Iris Pro option, but I think this is probably because it's the most desirable outcome.

5. Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

So I should probably state my position which is I haven't seen any leaks on what may be coming so I vote no new Mini. My preference is I7 with Iris Pro and a redesign with Skylake in a couple of years.

6. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

the event invite says "its been too long" so that could very well be a reference to a new mac mini.

im betting its a redesigned form factor that will look like a baby nMP. a small black cylinder. and it'll have i5/i7 options + iris and iris pro, and pci-e flash memory that goes up to 512gb...

i'd really like it if it had a discrete gpu though

7. Miat macrumors 6502

8. SolarShane macrumors 6502

If Apple includes flash by default, I'm in. Maybe the reason why they have waited so long is the maybe the design of the new Mac Pro will be the inspiration for the new mini.

AKA the "mini trash can".

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

I just want a new Mini. I bought one last Dec from Amazon, great little computers.

10. cypriot macrumors regular

Could be a plastic nmp case in different colors with i5/i7 ssd and gaming gfx card. That would not be a mini but that way they can keep the server mini as is.

I could buy one of these easily.

11. Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I could see a Mac Mini Nano showing up with Broadwell M, fanless, 128gb flash, 4gb ram.....$499.

Gateway Mac computer for emerging markets such as India..China, Etc. Perfect to use with their iPhone 6+ phablets.

It will be showing up as the new MBA in January.

12. Agent-J macrumors regular

I would love to see something really new, but I expect Apple will basically just give it a Haswell processor with typical wretched Intel graphics. But the "revolutionary" thing is that there will be a variety of case colors. The new Apple is all about bling.

(My wish would be a Mini offered in single configuration: i7 Haswell with discrete graphics, 16GB soldered-in RAM, and a user-replaceable 256GB SSD. Drop the FireWire port and add a couple more Thunderbolt ports. Target market would be schools and families transitioning from Windows. Ad: "Meet your first Macintosh." Apple blew a golden opportunity to go after that demographic when Win8 was vomited forth from Redmond.)

13. crsh1976, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

I'm going with a safe bet, if there's an update at all (ok so I'm also keeping my expectations way low too) : take the base 13-inch MBP model specs and throw them in the existing mini case - so dual-core i5 with Iris Graphics.

What I would like tho, i7 quad-core with either Iris Pro or a midrage discreet GPU like a Geforce 750M/850M

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Don't forget an i7 server version.

15. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Apple insists on making sure the Mini is "less than" some of their iMac models. Here are some things they could consider but wont -

1) advanced entertainment center to appeal to people who like ATV but want more.
    2) entry system that is competitive with small but powerful PC counterparts
    3) a choice for those who cannot afford Mac Pro

instead we'll see just an entry system that is beautiful to look at but suffers in the GPU department by decision.

The Mini could be used to fill multiple market niche rather than stay stagnant in the out of date marketing model Apple has been continuing. Here is some ideas based on above -

ATV user moves up to Mac Mini
    Mac Pro wannabe gets top of the line Mini to meet budget
    PC Gamer wants a 'decent' Mac counterpart to PC

The list can go on. Apple knows that the home computer world is changing and is sitting on a really nice 'device' that could be multifunctional.

16. RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

I think a silent upgrade of the mini is most likely and possibly best option.

While it may have seen a bigger change if Broadwell were available (ie a better CPU than whats shipping this fall), Haswell is all there is and our friends at Apple will surely want an entry level, relatively low price point, small form factor desktop to drive new displays which are likely to be announced this week and probably ship before Christmas.

A single TB1 port and HD4000 integrated graphics will not do.

The relatively minor changes I anticipate are probably good news since form factor stays the same with replaceable SATA HDD and RAM that is not soldered at price point about the same as today's Mini!

I wonder if this won't be the last Mini and the tag line refers to a more capable Mac that is the elusive xMac aimed at enthusiasts / gamers / professionals with no need for a nMP? This new Mac could be announced this week but ship in the new year with a Micro Mac computer (fanless with Broadwell, soldered RAM, etc) aimed at the masses for home server, HTPC, surfing, etc! If Intel weren't so far behind rolling out Broadwell, then I doubt there would be a 2014 Mini at all since I think Apple only see it as a bridge.

With gaming being so huge (the amount of money involved is staggering), I find it hard to believe that Tim wants to be sitting on the bench. While a new Mac may not drive huge profits, surely there is a way to profit off the games themselves?

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers

17. kazmac, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Based on past upgrades, my opinion is base 13" Macbook Pro components, so, yes, Haswell chip. I do wish Cook and co. would think different and give the Mini a bit of a power boost internally.

After the lackluster Mac upgrades earlier this year, I cannot see a design change yet.

18. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

19. now i see it macrumors 68000

I don't care any more.
    That's what happens when "it's been way too long".
    Lost my enthusiasm quite a long while ago. Way to go guys.

20. Agent-J macrumors regular

I wish you were right; a Mini with discrete graphics powerful enough for moderate gaming would be nice. My 2011 Mini with discrete graphics is just barely able to handle DOTA2, so my son and I built a Windows box for serious gaming. But Apple is all about bling now, and serious gamers don't have a reputation for being obsessed with style, so that makes them a market Apple doesn't care to serve. :(

(In my dreams, Apple markets a black Mini with GPU as a Steam Machine...)

21. RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

I'll second this. I need to build a PC for my son (his maxed out late 2012 21.5 inch iMac does not have a powerful enough GPU for rendering 3D animation) and there are so many ugly cases on the market I almost find it hilarious. Needless to say, they are huge too!

Not 100% sure if I'll use Linux or attempt a hack - going with Linux allows use of a much less expensive CPU which means more cash for the GPU (pair of GTX 750 ti or a single GTX 970).

Cheers

22. Crosscreek, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Toms Hardware did an article on the 970 and for the price of $300 its an amazing GPU.http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-maxwell-mobile-gtx-970m-gtx-980m,27833.html

Whoops that was the mobile. Here is the review.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941.html