Opinion wanted: upgrade MBP or replace with MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by crh3ff, Oct 26, 2010.

  1. crh3ff macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #1
    I've got a mid-2010 MBP with the 2.53ghz C2D, 6GB RAM, and have been watching the speed tests of the new MBA with great interest. Should I:

    -Keep the MBP as-is? It's definitely not lagging in speed at all.

    -Pull out the optical drive and install a boot/program SSD?

    -replace with a 13" 2.13ghz 4GB MBA?

    the last two options will probably cost me about the same, all said and done, depending on how big an SSD I'd get.

    Mostly used for web, mail, iWork, Office, some Windows 7 (through Parellels), iWeb; might be using iMovie more in a few months.
     
  2. crh3ff thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #2
    nevermind. just saw the ongoing discussion on the same. feel free to archive/delete
     
  3. hobes270 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #3
    I was almost in your same situation. I just sold my 2.4ghz i5 mbp and my ipad and bought a imac i7 and I am also going to be buying a mba. I am still unsure of which one yet. I will now have the best of both worlds.
     
  4. WardC macrumors 68030

    WardC

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    #4
    I just sold my 2.4GHz 2007-model 15" MacBook Pro on eBay and purchased an 11.6" MacBook Air (on order waiting to be shipped), I was originally going to get a 2.66GHz i7 15" MacBook Pro (or the 2.8GHz i7 now) but I think this MacBook Air will become my main laptop. The size and portability factor alone makes this very attractive compared to the MacBook Pro, which is very heavy compared to the Air. Most of what I use my laptop for is web surfing, light photo editing, chatting, e-mail, Office, AppleWorks, and iTunes, and I think the MacBook Air will handle all of this just fine. I don't need that $3200 8GB RAM SSD-equipped MacBook Pro anymore and I have saved a few bucks.
     
  5. crh3ff thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #5
    oh yeah...and I've got a 32gb 3G iPad. I realize they serve very different purposes, but if my laptop were as portable....dunno...would I need the iPad? (the correct answer is 'yes' ;) )
     
  6. crh3ff thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #6
    I think maybe I'll wait (since I'm actually still under AppleCare and don't want to screw with that) and see what the next MBP update brings...I fully expect them to get thinner and lighter...maybe losing the optical drive altogether?
     

Share This Page