Opinion which should I choose? 2011 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArcLP, May 6, 2015.

1. ArcLP macrumors newbie

Hello, I have the choice currently between a Macbook Pro 2011 (Late edition) i7 (Both are 13") 2.8ghz 2 core laptop with Intel HD 3000 graphics card and 8GB 1333 RAM

And

Macbook Pro 2012 (Mid) i5 2.5ghz 2 core with Intel HD 4000 graphics card and 8GB 1333 RAM (I know, the default ram for the MBP 2012 is 1600MHz ram, which I don't have :( )

Which do you think I should choose?

the 2012 has a lower geekbench score for proc, but way higher score for the graphics card, which I'll use.

2011 has a higher geekbench score but lower graphics card, I use both my graphics and proc equally so I'm a torn end.

So, which do you guys think is better?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go for the 2012, the geek bench score is pretty damn close.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

Most definitely the 2012. USB 3, Bluetooth 4.0, a guaranteed stable optical bay SATA connection, and the better graphics outweigh the slightly better CPU in the 2011.

4. ArcLP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guy. :) I've been on it for two days right now, I was deciding which to give my parents because they're pretty old (no offense to their age) so they don't need the best, I do for work, they just need one that runs decent that'll last a few more years. And I'd rather they use an aluminum macbook pro than a dell laptop which will break due to them doing something horrid on accident.

5. ArcLP thread starter macrumors newbie

Bad news ;( But not very bad!

I had to take the 2011 due to the graphics card is partially failing in the 2012. I'd watch a movie and the top of the screen every so often would give that old tv style static flash in a bit of a line horizontally. Anyone have a fix? Or is the whole Graphics card needing to be replaced/motherboard due to the graphics card is integrated.

the PC is fine for browsing the web so I gave it to my mother/father. I'm fine with the 2011 Macbook Pro. :)