Opinions/Advice on upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anharper, May 14, 2010.

1. anharper macrumors newbie

I have a 4 year old Macbook 0SX 10.4.11 2GHz Intel Core Duo. Memory 512 MB 667 MHZ. 60 GIG hard drive.
    Main issue: Only works when it is plugged in.
    Second Issue: CD Drive is screwed. Works, but have to pull out discs with tweezers. (Someone spilled a margarita on it at a party)
    I need any advice or opinions on upgrading, can't afford a new one and I'm too attached to my macbook to give up on it and get a cheaper PC.
    I really want to keep my budget around $300. I don't need a huge hard drive. I want speed, reliability, and snow leopard. (And I'm thinking external hard drive.... do they make them with disk drives?)
    Computer is only used for school (need to upgrade before I can use photoshop or autocad) , internet, and the occasional music download. With 10.4.11, it is almost impossible to find any programs compatible, and it's very frustrating when doing schoolwork.
    I am obviously not very savvy when it comes to upgrades and what not, so any advice is really appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your MacBook can take up to 2GB of RAM so upgrade it (link)

Then if you really want to make it fly, get SSD or if you want to save money, get a normal HD