Opinions for upgrading processor or hard drive (fusion drive)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Agent Moose, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Agent Moose, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

Agent Moose macrumors newbie

So I am planning on buying my first iMac.
    I am looking at a 21.7" but I am unsure of if I should update the 2.9GHz processor to a 3.1GHz or upgrading the 1TB HDD to the fusion drive.

I mainly plan on using it for music (I compose my own music), so the programs I will be running regularly would be Logic Pro 9 and MainStage.

I also am looking in the future and I do want to start my own vlogs and such, so I will probably be using Final Cut as well. Not only using it for vlogs but recording Minecraft (and maybe other games) as well, so I will be editing those videos all with Final Cut.

So, Upgrade Processor or upgrade to the Fusion Drive?

Aslo, as a side thing, if I didn't go with the Fusion drive and went for the processor, would me upgrading the RAM to 16gb make exporting videos/music faster?

Thanks in advanced :D

2. sleek881 macrumors regular

sleek881

You mean the 21.5" iMac. I would upgrade to the 1TB Fusion Drive rather than the processor ( it can Turbo Boost to 3.6Ghz anyway).

Remember you must upgrade the memory by Apple as it is not user upgradeable.

3. torana355 macrumors 68020

Fusion drive for sure, having an SSD is the best upgrade you can do these days.

4. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

In general, going from a dual core to a core is great. Going from an i5 to i7 is good. An increase in only the speed is a total waste of money most of the time unless money is no object.

5. Agent Moose thread starter macrumors newbie

I was talking to a friend and he said I should also go with a faster hard drive, since the stuff I plan on doing would be creating music and all the music files would be written to the hard drive as I am making it.

I see many people saying they want to use Final Cut, but what about Logic Pro? How much faster would it be if I did choose for the i7? If it's just seconds then I can handle just getting the Fusion Drive.