Opinions might be beneficial (for my website)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by AstrayCliche, Aug 8, 2007.

1. AstrayCliche macrumors member

Hello everyone! As I'm coming closer to finishing college I'm more & more realizing the importance of having a website to host my info and reel for work. I'm not exactly experienced in the area of web development, but figured I may as well give it a go myself. I like making myself crazy with new projects.

Anyways, the site as it is is still lacking most of its content. I'm more concerned about the overall style and structure at the moment.

http://www.minimumdensity.com/

Any reactions, criticisms, suggestions, advice, etc will be very helpful. Thank you!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I like the overall feel, especially the news thing hanging down (very good looking), but the logo needs work. It's too open and yet not quite minimalistic enough to justify having no other colors or design elements or anything. Even a more interesting font would make it stand out a bit more and give it some more feeling. Overall though, it's pretty nice. I'm betting someone will tell you you need to add some more colors though, and I'm not sure I agree, depending on the rest of the content. It's kinda nice not to see a bunch of color for once.

jW

3. AstrayCliche thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input! I did forget to mention my intentions for making it all grayscale. The most important aspect of the site is the color with-in the intended content (movies, photographs, etc). So I figured by having no or very little color in the site itself will let the content stand out more and prevent any unintended color clashing.

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Its a table layout. -1000 pts

Seriously, learn some CSS it will make your life so much easier.

Tables are supposed to be for tabular data, at least today they are. :)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Pretty good so far. Some recommendations:

- You need more contrast on your navigation links.
    - Some mouse over effects for the links would also be beneficial. Nothing fancy, just change the background color.
    - Not sure if you want that border around the img in the header. I'd prefer it gone, but that's me.
    - There's a lot that could be done to clean up the code, but you may not be worried about that.

Overall it's nice though. Good use of white space and I like the font size. So tired of sites using tiny font sizes forcing me to zoom.

7. a cat *miaow* macrumors regular

Hi, I think your site is looking really nice. I love the chunky black borders around the pages and images.
    I think the header could do with a little more work. Maybe you could increase the size of the owl drawing a little and cut the foot into the navigation? Just breaking out of the grid a little would work nicely because everything feels so solid/rigid.

This possibly is personnel preference - but i'm not a fan of the justified text on the 'about' page, also it feels like you could add a bit more line space to make it a bit lighter in feel. Would be nice if the resume links were drawings? something to add a bit more interest, something as simple as hand-drawing a page icon with 'pdf' / 'html' on it.

All in all though I think you've made a great start - the grayscale works really well, and the simple roll-over actions too:)

8. ambience macrumors member

I like the simple design. My only recommendations is do not use regular black text as links, many users may not know these are links. I would also recommend you code it with a CSS and layers instead of tables.

9. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

It's simple and usable, and follows a very basic theme of blacks, grays, and white.

I like :).

10. AstrayCliche thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the input everyone! I caught up on my CSS and am in the process of completely recoding my entire site, but in the same/similar style.

http://www.minimumdensity.com/beta/

It has even less content in it now, but it should be further along very soon.

11. Mac In School macrumors 65816